Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #1

Norcold water leak

Hey all,

I have a 2002 Monaco Signature and the Norcold refridgerator is leaking water into the space underneath it. It is dripping from behind somewhere. Do they have a drain mechanism of some sort with a drain tube that may be blocked or disconnected or if they are made to run too cold (i have mine set at 3) could the evaporator be freezing???? Also, I have disconnected the icemaker as I thought it may have been that.
It would be good to know a little about this before I embark on removing it and now that I have turned it off...it is not leaking!!

Appreciate the help,

Rod

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2011, 05:46 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I had a small pin hole in the ice maker line. I turned off the ice maker and found the small 'T' shut off valve under the fridge. Turned it off and still leaking. The 'T' shut off valve did not work. Tried to repair plastic line to ice maker. No luck, it kept spliting. Went to Home Depot and purchased an up grade of the compression fitted plastic line. No leaks for two years now

WeBeGone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
paz

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The cooling fins inside the refrigerator at the top defrost periodically. This water is collected in a tray below the fins. Check to see if this tray is full of water.

The tray is supposed to drain down a hose that ends in behind the outside service door. Some drains extend outside, and some drain into another tray near the heater stack where the water evaporates. There is a plug with a small orifice at the end of the drain hose. The orifice can easily become clogged. If there is water in the tray inside the fridge, pull the plug out of the end of the drain hose (watch out for the water that will come out) and clean the orifice.

The other possibility is a leaking icemaker water line or solenoid. The water line before the solenoid and the solenoid can possibly be repaired from outside, but if you need to replace the plastic line from the solenoid to the icemaker, you will probably havee to pull the fridge out.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:32 AM   #4

Thank you for that information...I will start with the drain line and hopefully find a blocked orifice. I have turned the fridge back on again to see how long it takes to leak...24hrs and so far no leak...so I am thinking it is only leaking when the defrost tray fills with water. It was on for about 3 weeks last time when I noticed the leak.... Sounds like a nice job for this weekend!!!
Old 02-17-2011, 10:37 AM   #5

Just thinking aloud here...I did notice water sitting in the outdoor service area behind the fridge when it was leaking...since turning off the fridge there has been no water in this compartment...would that mean that the tray had filled and could not drain anywhere???? BTW...I have disconnected the icemaker lines and shut it off at the Magnabloc so I am sure it is nothing to do with the icemaker lines.