Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
JPB

Norcold won't run on LP

I have a 02 Endeavor with a 4 door Norcold ref unit that works fine while plugged in to shore power and also when running on the generator. The problem is, it will not run when switched to LP. The pilot and burner does seem to work normally except the fridge does not cool or freeze. The freezer seems to remain cool and it seems to draw down the house batteries when attempting to run on LP. I have had 2 independant rv repairmen look at it and not be able to come up with a solution. Has anyone else had this problem?
While I have read your forum in the past and have had success solving issues, this is my first post as I just became a registered user. Any advice would be appreciated. thx. JPB
JPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2012, 06:55 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
JPB,

There are only two methods to heat up the solution for the absorption unit to work.

The two 120 VAC heaters are inside two pockets next to the solution tank.

The LPG burner is below the tank and when the flame comes on it will heat up the bottom of the tank, then the solution inside.

Chances are, you need to have the entire LPG burner area cleaned from the bottom to the top where the carbon monoxide escapes. If the solution is not being heated properly by the LPG, it won't work.

The Norcold aka NotSoCold unit are a POS and are more headaches than they are worth. You best solution is to remove it and dedicate it to a local junk yard. Then replace with a residential fridge.

I did and wished that I had done it years earlier.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2 JPB.
You have another option if cleaning the burner does not help you can change the cooling unit to an Amish cooling unit.
If your freezer works but box temps are high you may need to add a 12V cooling fan in bottom vent opening pointing upward to get better cooling of the cooling unit.
Also need to check and see if the vent area has clear short for the hot air to get out of your roof vent especially with the hot weather we have had this summer.
Its another cheaper option especially if you dry camp.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #4

Dr4Film has it right. I will bet that the gas part of the ref. has never been completely serviced by someone competent. That is what it needs now. The gas flame is not large enough or not getting through the dirt to properly heat the refrigerant. It needs to be completely disassembled and cleaned and then when put back together it needs to be properly adjusted according to the instruction book. The flue passages need to be cleaned in the process. I do mine each year or so. The water heater and furnace too.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Amazing

I'm amazed that it took all of 1:15 minutes for a 'residential is the only answer' to show up.

Sounds like a wimpy flame. Clogged burner tube, partially obstructed gas jet, not enough oxygen - and that will lead to a build up of carbon in the the burner making things even worse. Look for insects just after the jet, near the mixing slots. (Spiders love the smell of propane)

Your mention of runing down the batteries leads me to suspect one of two things: Not enough heat (wimpy flame) to trigger thermocouple or a bad thermocouple. Either will shut off the gas valve and the refer will attempt to start again. It's only supposed to do this a small number of times before it sets off an alarm but maybe it starts and runs for a while before 'flame out'.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:02 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";1330043]Welcome to irv2 JPB.
You have another option if [B][URL="http://blog.rv.net/2008/04/maintenance-cleaning-a-norcold-burner/
cleaning the burner[/URL][/B] does not help you can change the cooling unit to an Amish cooling unit.
If your freezer works but box temps are high you may need to add a 12V cooling fan in bottom vent opening pointing upward to get better cooling of the cooling unit.
Also need to check and see if the vent area has clear short for the hot air to get out of your roof vent especially with the hot weather we have had this summer.
Its another cheaper option especially if you dry camp.
I believe the information you've got will solve your problem. A clean burner will help solve your problem as well as proper flame and vent area clear. Residential refrigerators are not by far the only answer and it can be a costly move in doing so.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:12 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
I'm amazed that it took all of 1:15 minutes for a 'residential is the only answer' to show up.
Muddypaws,

I would suggest checking to see how many posts have been made on iRV2.com that pertain to problems with residential fridge units installed in RV's versus Norcold or Dometic RV units.

I bet you could count them on one hand or even one finger.

What conclusion would you come to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
Residential refrigerators are not by far the only answer and it can be a costly move in doing so.
Yes, it can be costly depending on the residential unit chosen and how you want it installed.

There have been some people with Monaco's that have installed residential units for less than $600 while others have paid over $3000 including the fridge.

An Amish unit installed at the factory with run you about $1700 with new fans, heaters, control board, baffles, snap disc, etc.

To me, spending that much money and still ending up with a Norcold body and electronics is throwing good money after bad.

I spent my hard earned money on a Samsung and wished that I had done it years earlier. I would have had fewer headaches, less sleepless nights and a lot less spoiled food that went into the garbage.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 10-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
JPB

jpb

You guys are great! Those are some great ideas that I will certainly explore. You gave me ideas about an ATC system on my coach that turned out to be as you predicted clogged fuel filters. I was able to pass along the same information to a buddy of mine for his Monaco which also turned out to be the fuel filters. I really like this forum!
JPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Residential

I'm not the one to ask about residential refer reliability. I'm on my 3'rd new residential refer in 5 years. So far the only reliable one we have is an old Montgomery Ward freezer in the garage. It's over 20 years old and will probably last another 20. Who knows where it was actually made.

We currently have an LG. It runs constantly to maintain 40F and is probably on the verge of failure. The previous one was a GE Profile and after the motherboard failed numerous times in 2 years I sold it on craigslist for 1/10'th what it cost me. The one pervious to that was a Whirlpool and the plastic parts started falling apart after a couple of years.

The Whirlpool and the GE were made in China, and the LG? Mexico. (Go figure.) Samsung & LG are virtually the same company but your Samsung was probably made in China. Same as the Norcold.

According to Consumer Reports between 2002 and 2009 1,415 fires have been caused by refrigerators and 1.6 million were recalled between '07 and '11.
Source: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2012/03/appliance-fires-is-your-home-safe/index.htm)

When the time comes I will probably go with an Amish coil and install it myself, so it's more like $1100 total. Much cheaper than adding more batteries, pure sine inverter, and a solar array to keep it going 'quietly'.

Regarding the number of posts: Human nature is that for the most part only the people having problems post on a forum such as this. Could they be built better? You bet! Everything could be built better.

When I buy a new coach it will probably come with a residential installed but I'm hoping by then solar prices will have come down some or we will not be boondocking for extended periods of time.

Cheers!
Muddypaws
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:40 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Muddypaws,

I would suggest checking to see how many posts have been made on iRV2.com that pertain to problems with residential fridge units installed in RV's versus Norcold or Dometic RV units.

I bet you could count them on one hand or even one finger.

What conclusion would you come to?

Yes, it can be costly depending on the residential unit chosen and how you want it installed.

There have been some people with Monaco's that have installed residential units for less than $600 while others have paid over $3000 including the fridge.

An Amish unit installed at the factory with run you about $1700 with new fans, heaters, control board, baffles, snap disc, etc.

To me, spending that much money and still ending up with a Norcold body and electronics is throwing good money after bad.

I spent my hard earned money on a Samsung and wished that I had done it years earlier. I would have had fewer headaches, less sleepless nights and a lot less spoiled food that went into the garbage.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
The great thing about this site is to offer and help people with areas of concern in their RV's from those who know the solution. My point was not to run down residential ref. but to mention that it could be costly, not all units come with the easy take out put in solution. Space, inverter size, battery's as well as ability and camping style all determine what their options are. If you like the residential great, but some like and have been happy with their Dometic and Norcold, but have failed. The Amish is the easiest solution that works for them and is cost effective. If you have the ability to do it yourself you have a great understanding of how it works as well. I hope that the residential last for those who installed them as well as the ones like me who installed the Amish units. My unit is large enough and it has frozen ice cream and I loose no sleep at night, nor do I throw away any food. Both are great for there intended style of use.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Regarding the number of posts: Human nature is that for the most part only the people having problems post on a forum such as this. Could they be built better? You bet! Everything could be built better.

When I buy a new coach it will probably come with a residential installed but I'm hoping by then solar prices will have come down some or we will not be boondocking for extended periods of time.

Cheers!
Muddypaws
That's was the main point of my post. There is a vast difference to the number of RVer's who own Norcold 12xx units with problems and have posted those problems here on iRV2 versus the ones who own residential units in their rigs who have had problems and posted it on iRV2.

I had an 11 year old Norcold aka NotSoCold for a little over 8 years. I had to literally nurse that unit all of those years with many adaptations, repairs, new electronics, etc. and finally I gave up. A new Amish cooling unit is only part of the answer. You are still left with a Norcold body, doors and electronics. Plus it still is only 12 cu. ft. and needs to be de-iced every 2-4 weeks.

I am sorry to hear of the numerous problems you have had with your choice of refrigerators in your S&B house. I have not had the same experience. I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

I don't dry camp other than days while traveling from one destination to another. However, if I were planning to do so for an extended period of time AND I did not want to run my diesel generator about 3 hours a day to keep the batteries charged for the "stuff" I am using inside the coach, I would buy a small Honda gas generator and plug the fridge into that when needed. Those things run forever on a gallon of fuel and are super quiet, less that my QD 7500 diesel which is also quiet.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 10-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
I'm not the one to ask about residential refer reliability. I'm on my 3'rd new residential refer in 5 years. So far the only reliable one we have is an old Montgomery Ward freezer in the garage. It's over 20 years old and will probably last another 20. Who knows where it was actually made.

We currently have an LG. It runs constantly to maintain 40F and is probably on the verge of failure. The previous one was a GE Profile and after the motherboard failed numerous times in 2 years I sold it on craigslist for 1/10'th what it cost me. The one pervious to that was a Whirlpool and the plastic parts started falling apart after a couple of years.

The Whirlpool and the GE were made in China, and the LG? Mexico. (Go figure.) Samsung & LG are virtually the same company but your Samsung was probably made in China. Same as the Norcold.

According to Consumer Reports between 2002 and 2009 1,415 fires have been caused by refrigerators and 1.6 million were recalled between '07 and '11.
Source: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2012/03/appliance-fires-is-your-home-safe/index.htm)

When the time comes I will probably go with an Amish coil and install it myself, so it's more like $1100 total. Much cheaper than adding more batteries, pure sine inverter, and a solar array to keep it going 'quietly'.

Cheers!
Muddypaws
Bet that LG is low on freon due to a leaky coil
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote