Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2019, 06:22 PM   #1

Norcool Black Box

I happen to have 3 of them
One is working and on my Norcold .
Rreading all the hooplaw on the reseting of these .
Id like to have a spare .
I have tried the reset by taking off the cover .
I have also removed the board from the box all together
I have put various magnets proper on the narrow switch .
I have let the magnet sit various amount of time up to 24 hours.
I have tried with and without 12volt power .

I guess it resets . But only for about a minute . Then the red light returns and frige states L1, 0P.
Could it be im doing something wrong or are the 2 spares just permatlly DEAD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16484408-7323-4AAC-A124-F1137CD15954_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	265258   Click image for larger version

Name:	21A2E73D-FF21-4283-8793-80BEF8A8146A_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	265259  

Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2019, 09:42 AM   #2

You cannot obtain a spare, Norcold requires the professional installer to send in the old/failed device in order to receive the new device. An aside to this is, Norcold now builds this "box" into the electronics of new units, no user reset known.
The magnet trick, I have to place a very strong magnet directly on the top right side of my "box" for it to reset. If the magnet is not strong enough it will not reset the device.
Many people have removed the Norcold "box" and installed an ARP/Fridge Defend protection device. Note: the instructions say to install the ARP unit in series with the Norcold box, personally I think that is for legal reasons only.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:39 AM   #3

Recall Box has to be fully wired up
12VDC IN
12VDC Out
Ground Wire
T/C wires

RED light ON Solid

Then with strong magnet you reset the reed switch at top by placing the magnet on face of box and MOVE it back forth...slowly

If ONE Recall Box is working and fridge is functioning properly
BUT the other TWO reset then trip and Fridge shows 'Li Op' errors then those 2 are NO GOOD
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:54 AM   #4

Ray , im not looking to obtain another . As stated the 3rd one I have , is on the frig and working . Also my cooling unit is not original . I was in on the recall and have been recieving checks .

I have read all I can find on the net about resetting the black box . Notice the Two in the pictures have the same numbers 634677 Rev E , 1430 154 and 1615 205 .

As far as magnets , as you can see in the pictures .
I started with the small extendable . Then the larger one . Finally the gold 3 pound speaker magnet . AS stated Ive left it on over night .

When I place either of the two back into operation . There is no light for a minute or two . Then it comes back on .
That being said I return to my third one witch is operational . And all is fine ! Once again .

IM in Fl and getting tired of the Norcool in hot climates all one can hope for is 50 degrees in the 90's Im considering options , such as the ARP device Or maybe a total upgrade to the JC cooling unit .

Once again the premice is to question the procedure to reset a black box to have as a spare .
Old 10-30-2019, 10:57 AM   #5

Thank you Old B , I was just going to post that . I will continue to try to get a dependable reset . ! !

But is there such a thing as totally no good ?
Old 11-04-2019, 11:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey cat View Post
Thank you Old B , I was just going to post that . I will continue to try to get a dependable reset . ! !

But is there such a thing as totally no good ?

Fridge functions, cools and operates with ONE of the recall circuit boards
BUT
the TWO other boards reset...then trip

SO obviously fridge is NOT the issue...
The TWO circuit boards are faulty
NO GOOD.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:57 AM   #7

Well it may be . Although Ill have to get back on that project . As I did not have the 12V out connected . I also tried by jumping the sensor in the middle and giving it 12V on the bench also . I"ll give it another try though . Curiosity has the best of me . As its just a switch one would think . The spares came with the coach when I purchased from the Original Owner