Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #1

Now we're cooking with gas!

So the new rig we got has an oven in it and I am new to cooking with a gas oven... anybody have ANY tips on maybe temperature or time adjustments than cooking with electric stove? I'm so happy to have one (crockpot dinners were growing old :-) )
I did buy some stoneware which does good but when it comes to cooking things on a basic cookie sheet...VERY disappointing...but I'm going all according to the package or recipe and nothing ever comes out crispy. I miss crispy food lol

Any input would be highly appreciated
IrieByTheSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #2

Check the RV gourmet section here. Lots of good suggestions on how to get the most from the small ovens.
OND
oldnotdead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The first problem is related to the size (tiny) of RV ovens; they lose heat rapidly when you open the door, so its more difficult to regulate temperature.

Solution; buy an unglazed ceramic or stone tile or tiles at Lowes (or a pizza stone) just a little smaller than bottom of the oven and lay it/them on the metal "shelf" near the bottom of the oven (over the burner). The stone will absorb heat and help the oven maintain temperature, and will reduce hot spots; you may still find you need to rotate pans to avoid over cooking some things.

Second, buy a good oven thermometer and a remote food thermometer with a probe like this. You want to be able to ACCURATELY tell what temperature your oven is maintaining and to what temp your roast or whatever is reaching without opening the oven door.

Gas ovens don't cook much differently than electric, maybe a little more moisture. Most of your cooking issues will come from the size and not knowing what temps you're actually dealing with. You may find recipes take somewhat longer than you're used to.

Allison

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
The first problem is related to the size (tiny) of RV ovens; they lose heat rapidly when you open the door, so its more difficult to regulate temperature.

Solution; buy an unglazed ceramic or stone tile or tiles at Lowes (or a pizza stone) just a little smaller than bottom of the oven and lay it/them on the metal "shelf" near the bottom of the oven (over the burner). The stone will absorb heat and help the oven maintain temperature, and will reduce hot spots; you may still find you need to rotate pans to avoid over cooking some things.

Second, buy a good oven thermometer and a remote food thermometer with a probe like this. You want to be able to ACCURATELY tell what temperature your oven is maintaining and to what temp your roast or whatever is reaching without opening the oven door.

Gas ovens don't cook much differently than electric, maybe a little more moisture. Most of your cooking issues will come from the size and not knowing what temps you're actually dealing with. You may find recipes take somewhat longer than you're used to.

Allison

x2
the unglazed stone ware makes a world of difference
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:20 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is possible that the thermostat is off. You might want to turn it on, wait ten minutes, then put an oven thermometer in, wait five minutes, then see what the temp says.

If it's off, then you know how much, and can adjust manually or take the rig in and have it serviced.

I've always found gas cooking to be better, than electric. I've never had a problem with items, like fries, not being crispy. If you are following the package instructions, it leads me back to if your thermostat is working correctly.

Some things, even here at home, I end up cooking longer- than the package says- as it's not yet cooked to my liking.

Hope this helps!

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:15 PM   #6

When measuring for the tiles be sure that the holes from below where the fire is do not get blocked. They must remain open for proper operation. Yes they work to keep the bottom of whatever you are cooking from burning.

I hate gas stove top cooking. I can never seem to get the flame low enough to simmer even with a diffuser. I like the control electric gives me so I have an electric hot plate to simmer with. Good soup must be simmered for a while for full flavor.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #7

Cool thanks for all the input, and yes I have realized things do take longer than recommended
Old 06-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnotdead
Check the RV gourmet section here. Lots of good suggestions on how to get the most from the small ovens.
OND
What is it under? I have seen it before and can't seem to find it again??
Old 06-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
x2
the unglazed stone ware makes a world of difference
X3
We used our oven constantly for the last 2 winters with this sytem and an oven thermometer...great results from turkeys to bread!!!
Ian
Old 06-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post

Allison
This is what we did and it worked well but we now have a GE convection/microwave oven and it works great.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use the pizza stone, remote thermometer and a thermometer that hangs or sits on the rack. I do not EVER trust the numbers on the dial. Too many variables ie. altitude, outside/ inside temp., door seal etc. I have had some great successes with mine. I have heard that a refrigerator rack works for a second oven rack but I have not found one yet that is just metal to try. Good luck and with practice you will learn to love the thing. Nothing like apple turnovers for breakfast on a cold morning and nothing like baking with the thing to help warm up the motor home without draining the batteries.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #12

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrieByTheSea View Post
What is it under? I have seen it before and can't seem to find it again??
Hobbies, Passions and Pastimes. In the RV lifestyles forum.

Bob

Sunny Sebastian Fl.
bobwalter is offline   Reply With Quote