Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2019, 02:23 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Off-Grid Solar Test for RV

In this video I tested my off-grid solar system by running my RV.

https://youtu.be/kiaQGQvypYY
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2019, 07:40 AM   #2

Thanks for sharing your cautions on being prepped for 'Just in case!' situations, and your results.

I did have a question about the voltage. Those were 'under load' results (As I assume you did not power off the coach demands, and let the batteries 'rest' before taking the voltage readings reported?). If so, then your bank may not be as low as indicated. Would be interesting to see if you were to repeat this test long enough to again get the lower voltage readings of a 'working' battery. Then power off all that you can, even do a full disconnect of the battery cable from the battery, and let the battery rest for say at least an hour. Then take the voltage reading. And if wet (I have not looked at your other info to see if they're wet or AGM.), get out the turkey baster and see what the Specific Gravity readings indicate. Suspect they'd be higher then.

Thanks again for the info sharing, and good luck on ongoing contingency preparation. I always tell my family and friends 'Safety, and safety prep, does take work and planning!'.

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:05 AM   #3

Static noload, nocharg voltage

Even if the voltage measured was under load, it is dropping everyday. Power in is less than power out. Eventually the batteries will be fully depleted.
He would need generator every morning followed by solar all day to meet the RV requirements and maintain batteries at 70% or more.

May be OP could shut off the dehumidifier and inverter for the simulated emergency week.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:10 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Thanks for sharing your cautions on being prepped for 'Just in case!' situations, and your results.

I did have a question about the voltage. Those were 'under load' results (As I assume you did not power off the coach demands, and let the batteries 'rest' before taking the voltage readings reported?). If so, then your bank may not be as low as indicated. Would be interesting to see if you were to repeat this test long enough to again get the lower voltage readings of a 'working' battery. Then power off all that you can, even do a full disconnect of the battery cable from the battery, and let the battery rest for say at least an hour. Then take the voltage reading. And if wet (I have not looked at your other info to see if they're wet or AGM.), get out the turkey baster and see what the Specific Gravity readings indicate. Suspect they'd be higher then.
Smitty thanks for the comments and very good question. You are correct in that a more accurate voltage reading would be with resting batteries without a load and I did not do this. I will take your advice when I do the upgrade and retest. I have AGM batteries.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:14 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Even if the voltage measured was under load, it is dropping everyday. Power in is less than power out. Eventually the batteries will be fully depleted.
He would need generator every morning followed by solar all day to meet the RV requirements and maintain batteries at 70% or more.

May be OP could shut off the dehumidifier and inverter for the simulated emergency week.
I thought about not running the dehumidifier but I wanted some 110 a/c load and not just 12v. In a real world scenario I would probably have the refrigerator running at least part of the day so the dehumidifier in a very marginal way simulates that.
You are very correct, the batteries were in a downhill slope with voltage loss and it was just a matter of time and they would be dead.

Tags
solar, test