Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2016, 11:31 PM   #1

OLD motor home needs help..gen won't work...

1993 tioga ..2.8 onan ....coach batters good every thing works so far but the fridge and the gen, the remote switch on the range hood does nothing on the meter... so I pulled the panel.... there's a red and a black going to the meter...both hot , red has a dimmer light on the tester.... the black jumps across to the start stop rocker switch,,, there's power to the middle lug,,, and it get power to the what ever side you push on the rocker....

the gen start button does nothing... and there is no power to the 5amp fuses

the hour meter does show anything either...

does the "93" have a circit board??? the big white wire has power at the gen...
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2016, 06:16 AM   #2

did I stump IRV2?
Old 10-23-2016, 06:39 AM   #3

OLD motor home needs help..gen won't work...need help please...

to start with... it's a 93 onan 2.8.... when you push the start button nothing happens on the remote start , or the gen. on the remote, it's on the range hood... nothing on the hour meter...pushing the button does nothing

so I took the panel off..there power going to the meter. the start / stop button has power... what ever side of the rocker switch you push gets power I don't "Think" there is a circit board..

there's power going to the main power to the gen...but nothing happens when you push the gen start button at the gen... it doesn't click or any thing????

in all my years of RV'n never came across this... also there is no coach shut off anywhere... but there is an axlinery button if one battery goes dead for momitary... batterys have 13 v... every thing works in this coach now but the fridge and gen....

I bought two of these old coaches the other day , one for my youngest son that is still in school, the other for my employee that has been a real good worker for the last 15 yrs at our shop....he went through the hard times stretch lost his home and is now a renter trying to work his way out of the hole and raise three kids in school...

one of the rv's is the very rare hard to find 93 class c 18.6.. it has the huge rear dinnete that make a king size bed , plus the bed above the cab..the 460 runs purrfect with power to spare....gonna be a restoration project for my son and me ..

we would love anyhelp as to what else to check on the gen.... pretty much has me stumped so far
Old 10-23-2016, 07:53 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Hope this will help

http://www.flightsystems.com/pdf/ona...oing-guide.pdf

A wiring diagram for the Onan generator start circuitry..Winnebago
Old 10-23-2016, 10:29 AM   #5

We looked at that same floor plan back in 1993. Only it was on the Chevy chassis with the 350 engine, (the Ford part might be what makes it rare).. Anyway, it was a neat little set up but we ended up finding and buying our first class A instead, (it was priced right).

On the genset question. This may not be anything like yours but,,, our used 1977 Minnie Winnie had a generator that had intermittent starting problems after we first got it. Sometimes it would do nothing when either start button was pushed. I finally decided to see if i could figure out what was wrong and it turned out to be something fairly simple to correct. To my surprise, there was no starter motor on this genset. What i found out was that it utilized an "Exciter/Starter" type set up. Not sure of the specifics but i believe there are two sets of brushes hitting the armature. One set is starter brushes and they need to be in decent shape, not worn down, not burned up, and able to move freely in their guides under spring pressure.

Changing them out was fairly easy and afterwards, had no problems with starting.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
We looked at that same floor plan back in 1993. Only it was on the Chevy chassis with the 350 engine, (the Ford part might be what makes it rare).. Anyway, it was a neat little set up but we ended up finding and buying our first class A instead, (it was priced right).

On the genset question. This may not be anything like yours but,,, our used 1977 Minnie Winnie had a generator that had intermittent starting problems after we first got it. Sometimes it would do nothing when either start button was pushed. I finally decided to see if i could figure out what was wrong and it turned out to be something fairly simple to correct. To my surprise, there was no starter motor on this genset. What i found out was that it utilized an "Exciter/Starter" type set up. Not sure of the specifics but i believe there are two sets of brushes hitting the armature. One set is starter brushes and they need to be in decent shape, not worn down, not burned up, and able to move freely in their guides under spring pressure.

Changing them out was fairly easy and afterwards, had no problems with starting.
thanks for the posts.... spent the day cleaning and painting... then got back to the gen...

probley at lot of work for nothing.... had to take the door off to get the gen out... got the cover off....jumped the solenoid.... gen cranked...

but... that only tells me the motors not froze up some thing simple is going on but.... who knows...
Old 10-23-2016, 06:49 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd say up you made some substantial headway with the problem.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:53 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Now you know it is in the wiring. Check the fuse with a meter for continuity one should be at the Gen some have 2. I would also check the ground wires and all connection for corrosion.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
Now you know it is in the wiring. Check the fuse with a meter for continuity one should be at the Gen some have 2. I would also check the ground wires and all connection for corrosion.
actually... I don't know that...could still be the solenoid..... but I know it will crank if by passed.... hair puller
Old 10-23-2016, 07:46 PM   #10

well... I haven't had a 93 motorhome since 93.... I know from memory that the shore power cord has to be plugged in to the generator to get the stuff to work...... but does it have to be plugged in to get the gen to start,..???? I have the gen out on the ground...... maybe all I neede to do was plug it in.... maybe the start circuit goes off the shore power cord somehow..... antone know or have one of these.... is there a shore power/ gen power switch??? or is it auto???:co nfused:
Old 10-23-2016, 07:53 PM   #11

so question... does the shore power have to be plugged in for the gen to start on a 93 tioga with a 2.8??
Old 10-23-2016, 08:06 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
well... I haven't had a 93 motorhome since 93.... I know from memory that the shore power cord has to be plugged in to the generator to get the stuff to work...... but does it have to be plugged in to get the gen to start,..???? I have the gen out on the ground...... maybe all I neede to do was plug it in.... maybe the start circuit goes off the shore power cord somehow..... antone know or have one of these.... is there a shore power/ gen power switch??? or is it auto???:co nfused:
I don't know enough about that model to tell you. It would need a contact switch located where you plug it in if it did. There would be nothing on the shore power side of the cord. Can you take a picture and get me the model number I will see what I can find.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:33 AM   #13

well... still need help.... there is a 6 pin plug at the back of the gen,,should any of those be hot???? and does anyone know which way the power goes?
Old 10-24-2016, 06:35 AM   #14

this gen looks new and I'll bet the problem has been there for a while..

one other thing, has anyone one ever checked the power to the fuses before here?

Tags
need help