Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #15

I appreciate all the input! We are new to camping and have purchased our first camper that we are living in so we can save to build a house! I love this site I am full of questions and find that this is a great research tool, seems like very knowledgeable people and extremely nice people!! My wife is about to kill me for this idea lol!!! So I will have plenty of questions

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #16

Guess the wife and I, just don't use enough hot water at one time to make it an issue. If both want to shower one after the other I simply turn the gas heat on with the electric. We do have a 10 gallon heater. Otherwise for washing dishes or the typical face, hands and shaving we have plenty of hot water. When boon docking we simply only turn on the water heater when it is needed. To me seems simpler and certainly less expensive than going with a tank-less header.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #17

LadyFritz,
I this is a very well written post. I found it very helpful and i had already done considerable reading on the tankless.
The bottom line for me is that my wife is not happy with a "Navy" shower and we have a KZ Escalade with a 12 gal tank. I nice long hot shower is a great way to warm up in the winter, especially when you live full time as we do in our rig. We will be getting a tankless. I am leaning strongly toward the Precision Temp RV500s because it has more sophisticated temp controls and should pop right in where my current heater is. I have plenty of extra room there if I need it.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #18

[QUOTE=jcthorne;961000]
In the 5 yrs I owned the RV500 I had very few satisfying showers.
========================================
Well, at $1,000 for a RV500 that is not what I was expecting to hear. Thanks for the insight. I will keep looking into this.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:28 AM   #19

iRV2 No Limits Club
I've seen several people say they liked the RV500 and only one who didn't (that one claimed it was an RV500 he installed but the symptoms he described sounded typical of the Girard so the jury is out on that complaint).

The fact that the RV500 runs only on propane bothers me a bit. I had someone mention that the "16" gallon Atwood Exothermal model (a 10 gallon model that heats water hotter than normal and uses a mixing valve to mix it with cold water to give the equivalent of 16 gallons) gave long showers but when I tried to pin him down to the length of the showers and the recovery time when on 120v only, I never got a response. Anyone know anything?
Old 11-14-2011, 11:03 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My parents ordered a 1958 (Yah, that long ago!) 17' KenKraft TT, they specified a tankless water heater. KenKraft used a gas unit made for foreign stick houses. When they sold it years later the water heater was still working fine. Not that they didn't have troubles (frozen water pressure regulator), but it could be fixed. It was plumbed into the sink and shower too.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Would it be possible to switch to an On-Demand? Yes, in fact at least one company makes a "Drop in" replacement for the standard RV water heaters.

Other options:

You can use a cut off valve (Should be one in the shower head but if you don't have one go to Lowes or Home Depot and pick one up,, Just tell 'em "Shower cut off valve" in the plumbing area and they will point)

You can also get a 10 gallon heater in a six gallon "hat" (Yes, Attwood figured out how to put 10 gallons of hot water in a six gallon can) they do it by heating the water way hotter than you normally do and then mixing in a bit of cold water as it exits the heater in case you are wondering.. I do not recommend this unit normally because there are several things that can go wrong that can not go wrong on a regular heater.

Downside of "on Demand" is that they eat a lot of energy very fast. This means you are going to have to run 'em off Propane only. No electric opiton. Or if electric you need 220 volts (50 amp service) no 30 amp parking spots.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:14 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Would it be possible to switch to an On-Demand? Yes, in fact at least one company makes a "Drop in" replacement for the standard RV water heaters.

Other options:

You can use a cut off valve (Should be one in the shower head but if you don't have one go to Lowes or Home Depot and pick one up,, Just tell 'em "Shower cut off valve" in the plumbing area and they will point)

You can also get a 10 gallon heater in a six gallon "hat" (Yes, Attwood figured out how to put 10 gallons of hot water in a six gallon can) they do it by heating the water way hotter than you normally do and then mixing in a bit of cold water as it exits the heater in case you are wondering.. I do not recommend this unit normally because there are several things that can go wrong that can not go wrong on a regular heater.

Another option is to install a higher temp thermostat (Easy on Attwood, don't know about other brands) and mix in more cold at the faucet.

If your heater has both gas and electric heat.. Use both at the same time (helps) as well

Downside of "on Demand" is that they eat a lot of energy very fast. This means you are going to have to run 'em off Propane only. No electric opiton. Or if electric you need 220 volts (50 amp service) no 30 amp parking spots.

What do I do: Usually, Park shower instead of Motor Home's Better water flow.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #23

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Other options:

Another option is to install a higher temp thermostat (Easy on Attwood, don't know about other brands) and mix in more cold at the faucet.

If your heater has both gas and electric heat.. Use both at the same time (helps) as well

What do I do: Usually, Park shower instead of Motor Home's Better water flow.
Did you bother to read any of the other posts before answering here?

Tags
kz-rv, water