Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2018, 02:01 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
On the road and front/dash AC not doing well!

We are about 2 hours from our evening stop (Oak Mountain State Park, just southeast of Birmingham AL), and our dash AC isn’t doing well at all! The middle AC seems a little cool, but not blowing very much (but fan set to high); the back AC seems better. We are headed to RI for my son’s wedding. Any thoughts on where to try to get the AC checked, charged or whatever?
Weimaraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2018, 02:34 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Any auto A/C servicing center can work on the dash A/C. The rooftop units are much like a window unit, sealed and if the fan motor or circuit board is bad, they are better to just replace them. Have you cleaned the rooftop fins and the filter? About all you can do in most cases.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:40 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I run my dash air in RECIRC, where it brings in already cool INTERIOR air and cools it more, rather than FRESH where it is bringing in hot, humid OUTSIDE air and trying to cool that. Does your air FLOW decrease as air temp goes up? If so, your unit may be icing up. Turn the compressor off by switching to VENT and run the fan at high speed till you feel the flow increase, then switch the compressor back on, again, in RECIRC.

Ant automotive shop can charge the system, it's almost like the system in about every car out there, 'cept the engine is 40' away. Then, when fully charged, it won't be that great anyway, because it's almost like the systems designed to cool a 150 cubic foot minivan, but you have a 1,500 cubic foot motorhome. You will likely always need the roof airs in moderate to warmer climates.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:09 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We called every truck and RV service we could find in the area, and only one does it, and they are booked for 2 weeks! Thanks - I’ll try auto AC places!
Old 06-26-2018, 03:13 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Besides TonyMac's suggestion to use recirculate, have you made sure the heat is off? Feel the hoses as they enter the plenum, usually under the front hood area. If either hose is hot, that means the heater control valve isn't fully closed. Many install a ball valve in one of the hoses to prevent coolant circulation.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weimaraner View Post
We called every truck and RV service we could find in the area, and only one does it, and they are booked for 2 weeks! Thanks - I’ll try auto AC places!
What you are going to tun into is if the compressor is in the rear engine bay, as mine is, then typical A/C guys won't address any issues with that compressor.

If that is the case, then have the A/C guys eliminate any issues from the dash A/C to the compressor (and back) and deal with what is left.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:16 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
So?? What's happened?

Grumble.....a true mechanic can fix anything, a part swapping moron "technician" couldn't fix his way out of a wet paper bag. Compressor, schmompressor, it ain't the compressor. Does your rig have an electrical fan for the AC condenser and does it turn? Then I'd look is at the generator! Actually, I'd open the genset compartment cause that's where the high and low side ports are. I'd stick me some gages on there and see what's up. You are likely low on refridgerant, or coolant as an auto "technician" might call it. He might put some refridgerant in it, and an appropriate amount of compressor oil, to get the pressures right, and see what's up now. Any mechanic can do this in the parking lot in under an hour, I can do this and I'm a lousy knuckle-draggin' pilot wh cant speel. Call any mechanic; if he puts in refer, he should put in oil too.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:50 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
UPDATE: Thank you all for your good thoughts! After a million phone calls to various types of places, RV fixit places, auto AC places, etc., one of the places suggested Thompson Cat, which was just about 15 minutes from where we had stayed at Oak Mountain State Park south of Birmingham. They were amazing! We went first thing in the morning; they got us right in, and it was a huge, clean shop. They determined there was no Freon; they ran a bunch of tests, including die, and found no leaks. We were off in a few hours. They even had nice clean grassy areas for us to walk the puppies. I highly recommend them if you’re in the neighborhood!

Tags
dash