Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2016, 06:59 PM   #1

Onan 5.5 Gas Gen Code 47

It started and ran fine for the whole trip. Ran fine for about 30 minutes at the latest Walmart stop. Shut down as normal but 45 minutes down the road no start at the rest area. Troubleshooting reveals fault code 47. Onan book says take to authorized dealer. Internet says control panel for about $400 plus labor.
Any other options?
Gonna be a warm night at the Defuniak Springs rest area.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2016, 08:06 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
I know what I would be doing. Anything that is computer operated control panel, has the ability to be reset. So I would disconnect the ground wire coming from battery lead to Generator. Leave it disconnected for at least one minute, then reinstall battery connection. Try to restart, can't hurt anything for trying. Since it is a control panel, you never know. I personally do not know if this would work, but I would try.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:59 AM   #3

Here's a troubling update.
After spending a warm night at the rest area we drove the remaining leg of the trip to the house. Just for kicks I tried to start the generator in the driveway even though we only had 1/8 tank fuel.
It started and ran fine! It assumed the electric load just like normal. I shut it down after the load was assumed because I didn't want to run it out of gas.
Do the codes time out after awhile? The last failed attempt at the rest area was about 45 minutes after the initial failure to start and I had given up on the troubleshooting.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:55 PM   #4

I talked with the local Cummins/Onan center today. The tech said there wasn't much they could do if the problem doesn't show itself while they have it. The best they could do is clear any existing codes but that would cost at least an hour labor at $116+ per hour and their next appointment is several week out.
I started and ran it several times over the past day or so and it starts normal each time.
I guess for now I'll wait for the innevitable to happen at a most inconvenient time.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:04 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
This time of year with the 5500 onans doing what you described - my best bet is that it's very likely fuel starvation due to heating in the fuel pump/lines. It manifests over the road because the road is hot and it's basically sucking in air from the asphalt on the road.

Replace the fuel pump if it's older - insulate the fuel lines as much as possible, sometimes you can use a heater hose over the existing fuel lines.

This one is a hard one to catch.. And it could be something else, but lots of people have had this issue with the 5500 and hot temperatures.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:44 PM   #6

Cb1000, the fault code you speak of would be 36. 36 is uncommanded engine stop.

When you say Cummins tech, we're you talking to a Cummins dealer or a Cummins distributor?
Old 06-15-2016, 04:16 AM   #7

Cb1000rider-I'm pretty sure that fuel starvation wouldn't stop it from cranking.
Pchuckie- Cummins Power South in Jacksonville FL. They're a dealer and service center for our area.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:30 AM   #8

Good, that's the place you want to go with that problem and not a dealer.

And unfortunately, the problem does need to be active to have any chance of success of troubleshooting the problem. Otherwise they'll have to play swap parts it might be which could get pretty pricey pretty quick. And definetly keep the old parts, in fact request that when you drop it off.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:11 AM   #9

Was the problem that the generator wouldn't start, or wouldn't crank? I have been in your shoes. We have a 5500 Onan. It did the same thing. Ran for 90 minutes and then shut down. In our case it was a code '36' and the outside temp was in the mid 90s. When we got home, I changed the oil and filter, and the air filter. Recently I et the 'American Cancer Society' use the coach as a money count room during their local 'Relay For Life' event. Drove the coach to the event. Set it up for them and turned the generator on. 14 hours later, I turned it off after I got home. They are pretty picky as far as running in high heat. That night was about 60 degrees. Also make sure the oil is full. Lots of air, gas and oil and you may be good to go.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:26 AM   #10

It wouldn't crank. Tried to start using the switch at the generator and could hear the relay click but no crank. I guess it's possible that the starter solenoid hung up and finally released with the vibration on the drive home. Code 47 indicates an ignition failure.
It started and ran fine several times since we got home.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:15 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Here's the "No Crank" troubleshooting for my 4ky. This will be similar for yours.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf onan cranking.pdf (8.8 KB, 263 views)
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, onan