Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2019, 05:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenB View Post
When it is cold you will hear a noise as the battery engages along with glow plugs to heat up for start. May take a minute plus to kick over..
I don’t think so. Started right up yesterday. Turned off after 15 minutes to run some errands. Came back about 2 hours later and nothing is happening
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2019, 07:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHBama View Post
Hope there is an easy solution for our Toy Hauler generator,, if not It’s going to a service center Wednesday. I have a 1/4 tank of gas in fuel station and I’m getting no action on the generator. The start/stop will flash red like normal and I can here a noise like something is trying to happen but nothing. It’s fresh gas and has been working fine up to yesterday. We don’t use a ton but getting ready for a trip next weekend that may or may not happen now. Been serviced regularly. Thanks
That noise you hear is probably the starter on the genny.
If the fuel tank is low enough that the dip tube that feeds the genny is sucking air then a simple test for that is to remove the air cleaner and spray some carb cleaner down the carburetor throat while you crank the genny from the local control panel... the carb cleaner acts like atomized fuel for as long as you are spraying it...
If the genny fires on the carb cleaner then a second test is to substitute a short dip tube that supplies gas... just disconnect the fuel line to the tank and substitute a short length of fuel line that is just long enough to reach the ground, then drop that into an empty 1 quart plastic oil container that you have filled 1/2 to 2/3 full of gasoline. Then start the genny from the local control panel. Yes, it will crank for a little while as you have to suck some fuel up through the hose, but it will get gas until it sucks the container dry.

Mike
Old 11-21-2019, 11:33 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
That noise you hear is probably the starter on the genny.
If the fuel tank is low enough that the dip tube that feeds the genny is sucking air then a simple test for that is to remove the air cleaner and spray some carb cleaner down the carburetor throat while you crank the genny from the local control panel... the carb cleaner acts like atomized fuel for as long as you are spraying it...
If the genny fires on the carb cleaner then a second test is to substitute a short dip tube that supplies gas... just disconnect the fuel line to the tank and substitute a short length of fuel line that is just long enough to reach the ground, then drop that into an empty 1 quart plastic oil container that you have filled 1/2 to 2/3 full of gasoline. Then start the genny from the local control panel. Yes, it will crank for a little while as you have to suck some fuel up through the hose, but it will get gas until it sucks the container dry.

Mike
Took it to a local service center, they said the fuel pump comes on when I try to start it but it doesn't try to turn over and crank. They couldn't do warranty work for Cummings but were nice enough to look at it. They asked me how much gas was in it, a little over a quarter of a tank. I'm not a mechanical person but if the fuel pump is running but its not getting gas, is that what would happen? Hit start, fuel pump comes on and it doesn't even try to turn over? They seem to think its an electrical problem for some reason and recommended me drive it an hour and half to the nearest cummings warranty center. I'm going to add 5 more gallons after work and try again
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:39 AM   #18

try gently tapping the starter with a small hammer or tool while someone tries the starter switch.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:21 PM   #19

Just a thought- How did they test fuel pump if it doesn't turn over? Electric fuel pump? Next to check is low oil shutdown switch/check oil.
exp500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan, problem