Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #1

Heartland RV Club
Onan 5500 problems

Hey Guys, First post here. Looking for some help with my Generator. I have a 07 3795 Heartland Cyclone with a Onan 5500 Marquis gold generator. The family and I just went to glamis last weekend. Had a great time overall but I couldnt get my generator to start the morning we left. It had been flawless the entire trip no problems what so ever. In the morning we wanted to make some coffee so the wife tried starting the Gen. She primed it and tried starting it with no luck.
- It will start and then shut off
- Its been maintained very very well and serviced
The day before we ran the gen quite a bit. Had some crappy weather so we stayed in most the day. The Gen is flashing a service fault code. I couldnt remember how to get the other part of the code so I will look into in a couple of days.
I had this problem once before, camping in the same area. Took my toy hauler into a local service shop and had the carb replaced... Cost me a lot of money. Im hoping i can fix this problem myself. What does the forum say? anyone experience this before. Im kinda over all these problems with my Gen. Im almost at a point to just buy a portable one to carry with us just incase our gen goes out.
Dee_Dubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to the forum. I've moved your post here to get a broader view. Good luck.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:16 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee_Dubz View Post
Hey Guys, First post here. Looking for some help with my Generator. I have a 07 3795 Heartland Cyclone with a Onan 5500 Marquis gold generator. The family and I just went to glamis last weekend. Had a great time overall but I couldnt get my generator to start the morning we left. It had been flawless the entire trip no problems what so ever. In the morning we wanted to make some coffee so the wife tried starting the Gen. She primed it and tried starting it with no luck.
- It will start and then shut off
- Its been maintained very very well and serviced
The day before we ran the gen quite a bit. Had some crappy weather so we stayed in most the day. The Gen is flashing a service fault code. I couldnt remember how to get the other part of the code so I will look into in a couple of days.
I had this problem once before, camping in the same area. Took my toy hauler into a local service shop and had the carb replaced... Cost me a lot of money. Im hoping i can fix this problem myself. What does the forum say? anyone experience this before. Im kinda over all these problems with my Gen. Im almost at a point to just buy a portable one to carry with us just incase our gen goes out.
You didn't specify model number to show if it's carburetor, fuel injected, gas or LP, but I'll make a big assumption that it's gasoline. Make sure you have more than 1/4 tank of gas, because the generator pickup only goes 3/4 of the way into the fuel tank.

If your fuel level is okay, the first thing I would check is the fuel pump. Disconnect the fuel hose from the carb, point the fuel line into an empty container and push the stop/prime button. It should have a good flow and pressure.

If it's the fuel pump, those are made by Airtex. You can do a search for the model number on Amazon. I bought one for my 5500 for about $35. It's easy to change and is on the under side of the gen, front left.

I've attached a trouble shooting guide that may help some.

For the trouble codes, count the initial blinks.
Two blinks indicates a low oil pressure fault.
Three blinks is a service fault.
Four blinks indicates cranking exceeded 30 seconds without engine start.

If you are getting a service fault of three initial blinks, press stop/prime ONE time then count the blinks. You will get 1 to 5 blinks, a pause, then 1 to 9 blinks. For example, 3 blinks - pause - 5 blinks would be fault code 35. Pressing it again will stop the blinking.

I have the full service manual in printed form. If you can post the trouble code or PM me with the code I'll see what it says.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf onan-rv-troubleshooing-guide.pdf (2.62 MB, 310 views)
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:56 AM   #4

Heartland RV Club
Thanks Dan, Yes its Gasoline and its a dumb CA Carb complainant. I'll take a look at the fuel filter. The fuel level is at half, so it should be getting fuel. I'll check the blinking codes later this week. Im headed to work for a few days. I'll get around to it after Thanks giving and let you all know what I find out. Thanks a bunch.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:37 AM   #5

Heartland RV Club
Update, I just checked my Generator this am and it was flashing code 45 - which is a speed sense fault. The recommended action is to take it to an authorized onan dealer... of course they want me to do that. Anyone have experience with this?
Old 11-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Here's a link to some previous threads where code 45 was discussed. Hopefully they'll assist.
https://www.google.com/search?q=onan...com&gws_rd=ssl

Old 11-28-2014, 10:32 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee_Dubz View Post
Update, I just checked my Generator this am and it was flashing code 45 - which is a speed sense fault. The recommended action is to take it to an authorized onan dealer... of course they want me to do that. Anyone have experience with this?
Here are the service manual pages dealing with fault code 45. As you will see, that is a pretty complicated troubleshooting procedure with a number of different things that can cause the fault. I would recommend a certified Onan technician take a look at this one.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Onan5500-Fault45.pdf (2.80 MB, 145 views)
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:44 PM   #8

Heartland RV Club
Update today, After a few months of my trailer sitting I took my Rv to the local shop. Yesterday I received a phone call saying that it looked like the governor was adjusted too high, So they re adjusted it and serviced the unit. The tech told me he would run it in the am and I would be able to pick it up in the morning...
This after none the tech called and said the generator is doing the same thing flashing the same code (45) low freq speed... $340 part for the control board. He suspected thats the culprit. I initially was disappointed until about an hour ago when I received another phone call from the tech stating that its the governor rod... that pushes on the spring.
After we ended our conversation he went out to start replacing the control board and noticed the governor was in a different position... long story short my control board doesn't need to be replaced. He has no idea why the governor would change position. The rod that controls the gov spring its controlled by internal components of the the engine. The engine runs well and has no evidence to believe otherwise. The only true way to know for sure is drop the oil pan and check all the parts. Anyone have thoughts on why its doing this? sorry if this is confusing i'll know more when I pick it up in a few days. Thanks
Old 07-08-2015, 04:17 PM   #9

Heartland RV Club
Anyone who cares, The picture below is the governor rod. The tech is pointing at it in the picture. It my ten doesn't start he told me to just move the rod up and down and it will fire right up... Have no idea why still trying to figure it out. He said he took the air box off and cleaned a bunch of gunk out that could have been tampering with its travel. Anyway Im ready for the dunes!
Old 07-08-2015, 04:41 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Thanks for the update. Have fun

Tags
onan