Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #1

Onan 5k will not start

I have a 2000 four winds hurricane motorhome with a 5K onan genset. It will only start with starting fluid so it is a fuel problem. { I only did it once, I know its bad for it, but its so easy to eliminate many problems } 1) is fuel gravity fed or is it drawn thru when cranking? It doesn't appear to be gravity feed since the gas line is on top of the fuel tank. I traced (by feel) the fuel line from the genset to top of fuel cell but can not see it. Is there a fuel pump for the genset seperate from the engine? If so, is it in the fuel tank? How do I remove the carb from this unit? Once again, I can only feel, it is crammed in. Thanks.
dwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #2

Mine is a 4000 and has a fuel pump. It also had a shutoff valve right before where the line hooks on the pump. I had trouble starting mine and removed the shutoff valve and it fires right up now. Pull the hose off and turn it over a little and see if gas comes out of the hose. Could also be the carb gummed up from old gas setting in it without being run. I added stabil to mine last fall and a can of Sea Foam this spring.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #3

Where is your fuel pump? is it external to the gas tank? I traced my fuel line and it goes from a small filter on the carb, to what looks like a larger filter and then the fuel line goes to the top of the gas tank. No shut off valve that I can see or feel. I am thinking the carb but the genset ran for about 5 min and then died. I start it every week and let it run for 15 min under load. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo16720 View Post
Mine is a 4000 and has a fuel pump. It also had a shutoff valve right before where the line hooks on the pump. I had trouble starting mine and removed the shutoff valve and it fires right up now. Pull the hose off and turn it over a little and see if gas comes out of the hose. Could also be the carb gummed up from old gas setting in it without being run. I added stabil to mine last fall and a can of Sea Foam this spring.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a small fuel pump on the generator. It could be a bad rubber fuel line that is collapsed. This is what the fuel pump looks like.

Picture of fuel pump
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #5

OK, thanks John. I think that is my problem, I had the fuel line to the Carb disconnected and cranked it and no fuel. Now that I know that is the fuel pump, (wires must be out of site) that's why I thought it was a filter. I'll post what I find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
There is a small fuel pump on the generator. It could be a bad rubber fuel line that is collapsed. This is what the fuel pump looks like.

Picture of fuel pump
Old 05-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is a link to the service manual

Onan BGE RV Genset Service Manual
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #7

I verified with 12v, it is a bad fuel pump, I ordered a new one $55, free shipping, should be here Thur. Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
Here is a link to the service manual

Onan BGE RV Genset Service Manual
Old 05-10-2012, 05:14 AM   #8

I got my fuel pump out, WOW, what a pain. I received the new pump and put it in and started but but under load ran bad, surging. I had shut off one of the breakers on the genset while removing the pump. Oops, it is running great now. Thanks for the info.

Tags
onan