Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2018, 08:11 AM   #1

Onan 7.5HDJAK throwing codes

Folks,
I am having an issue where my genset will quit after an hour or two running with a load (air conditioner) or sometime with a small load. It will come up with a code "33" then secondary code "17" which service manual says fuel pump and to test pump by pushing stop to prime the fuel pump and see if you can hear it run. Pump runs as normal when I do this test. I have changed thermostat, flushed and filled coolant, changed fuel filter and checked belt.

Thanks in advance for your comments,

Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2018, 09:37 AM   #2

I'm having a similar situation with my 7500 generator. While driving and A/C's running gen will shut down and show's code 33. Although if not driving and is stationary the Gen will continue to run with no problem no matter what outside air temp. Have replaced the over temp switch, no cure. Shop is now saying that it's a air flow problem. Needs to receive air from higher up and not from road surface, which is hotter which can be over 200°. I think the shop may be right, but I really don't know what to do at this point.
mhshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:14 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

A 17 can be caused by a dirty fuel filter, resulting in inadequate fuel delivery to the engine.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:55 PM   #4

It may be sucking air to the fuel pump. Try running it on a separate supply and supply line. Been there, done that. A supply line nut was cracked at the tank.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:17 AM   #5

As I mentioned in post above, I only get code 33 on my genset. Now the shop said it looks like it has a bad radiator. Since it's 14 years old. I feel like I'm getting nickel and dimed here.
mhshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:46 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I’m getting a 2-4 code failure to come up to temperature. Genset shutsdown inside of 5 minutes.
tubitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:25 PM   #7

I had a 7.5 on a 04 Country Coach (no slide on generator) with same issue. Long story but had it dropped twice and spent $$$ doing everything. Bottom line when it was all said and done it was caused by a bad radiator cap. Do yourself a favor and try that before anything else.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:15 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Onan 7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duoglide1 View Post
I had a 7.5 on a 04 Country Coach (no slide on generator) with same issue. Long story but had it dropped twice and spent $$$ doing everything. Bottom line when it was all said and done it was caused by a bad radiator cap. Do yourself a favor and try that before anything else.
My fix was similar to yours. When the radiator cap was pushed in behind the little door, the hose was kinking preventing the overflow tank from making up coolant to the cooling system. It acted like it was low on coolant and it was!

When I opened the panel and extended the hose, everything worked fine.

Thanks for your post - it put me on the right track!
tubitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan