Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2014, 05:18 PM   #1

Onan 7500 QD help needed!!

Displaying secondary fault code 11 AC short circuit. Generator will run when I switch off Main circuit breaker on the generator itself. When I turn the circuit breaker on the generator back on no power to the coach. Could it be my auto transfer switch or power converter. I'm in a model year 2000 and their location is very difficult to get to any suggestions on troubleshooting or any thing I should be testing would be greatly appreciated currently on the road without generator.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2014, 05:27 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Usually when a transfer switch is bad, it just fails to connect, not short out. Trace the wiring from the generator, look for a short or scraped insulation. Also, check wire clamps in the transfer switch, they can loosen over time, maybe one shifted and shorted another. I think by power converter, you mean your converter/charger. It should be connected to transfer switch by way of main power panel, shut off the circuit breaker to it and you can eliminate it as a problem source.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:07 PM   #3

Thanks a lot turns out when I opened the transfer switch the generator side is majorly corroded so much so that I can't even unscrew the connections.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:15 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
You might try PB Blaster, a very effective penetrating oil.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pb+b...68498153523394

Bob & Donna
Old 08-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #5

Really appreciate your help!
Old 08-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #6

will try something to break the corrosion in the morning. Looks like the two common wires on the coach side of the generator input have completely lost their insulation and in fact were touching (one is a short common that goes from one switch to the other). Not sure how I'm going to repair it as there is absolutely no slack available to cut out the bad wire. Any suggestions? If I cannot get the bad wires out I am guessing a new transfer switch is in my future...
Old 08-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
A trip to a home supply store perhaps to get a couple feet of proper gauge wire to replace the bad sections. If you can soak the clamps with even WD-40 overnight it will help in the morning when you work on it again. Make sure you take photos to show proper routing of all wires before removing any wires. Label them too to make install of new wires or an ATS easier.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-20-2014, 05:19 PM   #8

In case you're interested, I am home now and wound up ordering a progressive dynamics ATS (found the best price on amazon). I had to take the counter-top off of my bed side table to get best access but once I did that getting the old ATS out was easy. Trimmed up the old burned cable section which was on the load side and not too bad - turned out that it was mainly the jumper to the generator bus that had completely deteriorated and obviously the new ATS had a brand new one. Got it all wired up, fired up the generator and all is good. No buzzing or humming from this ATS either which is a great thing. Will have to see about when I hook to shore power but I would not expect any issues and have a trip coming up over labor day when I can check it. Anyway, thanks again for your pointers I really appreciate it.

Tags
onan