Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
I have the Onan Energy Command 30 which is supposed to start my generator when the batts are low. It wasn't working when I bought the coach new just over a year ago. After installing a new control panel, it worked fine, but now it's acting up again. After setting it to "suto", it frequently (not always) reverts to "manual". Anyone else have this problem?
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I have the Onan Energy Command 30 which is supposed to start my generator when the batts are low. It wasn't working when I bought the coach new just over a year ago. After installing a new control panel, it worked fine, but now it's acting up again. After setting it to "suto", it frequently (not always) reverts to "manual". Anyone else have this problem?
Old 01-19-2008, 01:20 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by slabman:
I have the Onan Energy Command 30 which is supposed to start my generator when the batts are low. It wasn't working when I bought the coach new just over a year ago. After installing a new control panel, it worked fine, but now it's acting up again. After setting it to "suto", it frequently (not always) reverts to "manual". Anyone else have this problem? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The EC30 has a safety feature that reverts it to manual when you move the coach. This is wired to the ignition switch or the brake lights in many applications but could be attached to an alternate source.

This is to protect you from having the generator auto start when you pull up to a gas pump or when you park it in an enclosed storage area.

Mine also reverts when someone kicks the battery bypass switch in the entry step area or bumps one of the remote start switches such as the one on the dash.

Someone could be tripping this safety feature by turning the ignition key to adjust the levelers or slides, taping the bake pedal or bumping one of the switches located around the coach.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:02 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, I am aware of all these safeguards. I can assure you this IS NOT the problem at all. I can sit there and watch the thing revert back to manual after a few minutes with nothing else being turned on, etc.

I have had this thing working well a few months back, so I know how it works. I'm just wondering if I'm the only one with this issue or have others experienced it too?
Old 05-20-2008, 08:03 AM   #5

If it's reverting to manual without any of the safety parameters being engaged, there's a 99.9% chance you are losing your house battery signal to your panel. This immediately (and without generating a code or error) puts the unit in manual mode. I know, as I went through this once as well.

The house batter wire is the solid black wire with the "#8" on it. It comes out of a corner of the harness.

I'd recommend running a new wire (16 gauge will do) from that wire right behind the panel all the way DIRECTLY to your house batteries (they are all in synch, so connecting to any of them will do). Cover this wire in some form of protective plastic or "snake" as many call it.

Also check the connection behind the panel first, but unplugging it and looking at the #8 wire connection. It may be just a loose connection, hence why when you changed the panel, it worked for a while.

Good luck!

Mike
Mikessp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:00 PM   #6

The main harness connector on the back of the controller is a mini fit jr style connector. The wires crimped to the pins installed in the housing are easily dmaged or not crimped correctly and might be causing your intermittent connection. You might remove the panel from whatever its attached to and try wiggling the wires at this connector and see if one of them causes the problem you describe.

If you need a new pin with a wire crimped to it to make a repair, send me an email and i can send one or more to you

regards

bill griffin
Grifftek is offline   Reply With Quote