Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2015, 03:08 PM   #1

Onan Emerald series won't crank

Hello I'm pretty green at owning an RV, and learning about small engines as well. I'm having an issue with my on board genset.

With using the IRV2.com search icon I'm able to locate some very similar threads, but there was no resolution, or the model wasn't the same, and they are all to old to post on, usually exceeding 1300 days since the last activity.

So I have an Onan Emerald I think it's a BGE - could be the BGM J spec. I would have to be at home to double check for certain. I know that it has the electronic governor because it has the 10 amp fuse, it's also gas powered.

When I push the start button absolutely nothing happens, no noises, no clicks, no attempts to crank, engage the starter, nothing with the fuel pump, etc. The same thing happens if I use the remote start on the inside of the cab. I tested voltage where the cable comes from the aux battery,I want to say this is the starter solenoid and the ground connection on the chassis, I was getting 12.x something volt - again can't quite remember since I'm in the office. I also checked my cable connections and everything looked good, I went ahead and removed the negative/ground and cleaned up the cable just to verify. Still nothing.

I'm able to jump the starter solenoid - if that's what it is, from the positive connection to the starter and it cranks very strongly. With all of my research it seemed that the controll board was most certainly the reason it wasn't working. I went ahead and ordered a replacement. Installed the replacement and the exact same thing is happening. I am now questioning the starter solenoid?
But,
As I say I'm not very familiar with what I should check, or what should be getting electricity etc when I do check.

Any and all suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to look, and read over my issue.
hilltodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2015, 09:07 PM   #2

Selenoid has 2 large posts opposite and one or two small ones on side.

Large ones are the switch connections or power in and power to starter.

Small ones are for coil.

If 2 one goes to ground and other goes to 12 volts

Depending on how it is wired it could be different but usually ground is constant and the 12 volts comes from start control.

Check these with a voltmeter while helper tries to start it.

If 12 volts across coil and no click coil bad
Old 04-29-2015, 08:01 AM   #3

Thanks TQ60, I will attempt this tomorrow after work, since I work all day today and won't have time.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:27 AM   #4

If it is a bgm, it has two 10 amp fuses. Looks like if fuse #1 is open nothing works. Fuse #2 is for the fuel pump.
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:39 PM   #5

Ok, didn't get a chance yesterday to test the voltage with the stator. Ok on this picture where I put a red color with each connection I had 12.86 volts on the two spots. On the spot where it is green I had 12.86 volts when I pushed the start button on the gen, and also the remote start switch as well. Also there is 0 volts when the start switch is not pressed at the green color locations. I am not familiar with a second fuse. The fuse that connects directly to the board is good, used the new fuse that the new control board came with and also tried a new fuse that I purchased, I am also able to get continuity with my volt meter on both fuses.

So it sounds like the coil would be bad, I'll look into my manuals about replacing the coil. Any other information would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:41 PM   #6

Ok, hopefully my picture uploaded this time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	generator stator.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	93097  

Tags