Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2015, 09:57 AM   #1

Onan fuel issue

Sorry. Probably wrong thread.

Appreciate help and suggestions.

Fuel filter on my 2003 Fleetwood revolution was replaced by Freighleiner after noticing issues.

Now I'm on a trip in Concan, TX (1.5 hours west San Antonio) and the generator stopped running 3 times last night. It has a hard time when restarting.
I assume that whatever bad fuel, etc that clogged the engine fuel filter is now at play in the genset.

Really don't want to drive home 7 hours with no A/C.

I've restarted it multipe times hoping to clear the filter. It seemed to get a bit better. I ran it under full load for maximum fuel flow assuming that might help.

It's an Onan.

Thank for you guys help!!!
CaptainVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2015, 11:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVideo View Post
Sorry. Probably wrong thread.

Appreciate help and suggestions.

Fuel filter on my 2003 Fleetwood revolution was replaced by Freighleiner after noticing issues.
Now I'm on a trip in Concan, TX (1.5 hours west San Antonio) and the generator stopped running 3 times last night. It has a hard time when restarting.
I assume that whatever bad fuel, etc that clogged the engine fuel filter is now at play in the genset.
Really don't want to drive home 7 hours with no A/C.
I've restarted it multipe times hoping to clear the filter. It seemed to get a bit better. I ran it under full load for maximum fuel flow assuming that might help.
It's an Onan.
Thank for you guys help!!!
CaptainVideo
Change the "generator fuel filter".
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:30 PM   #3

You can't clear a filter. It collects, between 10 to 30 micron size and larger stuff, that would damage your fuel system if It got thru.

Once it's clogged, It restricts flow to your engine and need to be replaced.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:28 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you think it is a filter, and you can't find a replacement, You can try to blow it backwards and pour some fuel through it backwards, then reinstall it. That is what I would do.

Or better yet, go buy an in line fuel filter from any autoparts store and some fuel line and some clamps and make it work.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:18 PM   #5

Flushing fuel backwards with 5 or 10 psi air, could work in a bind, but blowing to much pressure could compromise the filter, allowing large particles to pass thru. Be carefull.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:33 PM   #6

Thanks everyone.

I've never worked on the genset before.
I'm more of an electrical kind of guy. But there's a first time for everything!

Have the manual, but not even sure I could access it well. Had it serviced once and they took the front of the coach off to get to it. :/

I will call around tomorrow and see if I can get a replacement filter in Uvalde, TX.

I assume I got some bad diesel. Because the engine fuel filter was clogged as well last month.
Wish Freightleiner would have suggested flushing the fuel and replacing all the affected filters. I'm no mechanic and didn't think of this eventuality.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:48 AM   #7

Ok, filter is coming from Amazon today. Love them! Next day delivery charge $3.99.
Talked to my friend's husband that is a United jet mechanic (Wish we'd brought him :-] ).
He gave some tips and encouragement and the brilliant suggestion to look for an example on YouTube.

This video looks just like my genset.

Bought an oil pan at Walmart, and just need some open ended wrenches once I know what sizes are involved.

http://youtu.be/4G8TjuZfyHE

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZOLAH0/ref=ya_st_dp_summary
Old 09-01-2015, 05:06 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
"CaptainVideo" didn't think to look on Youtube......that is kind of funny!

Good luck with your filter change.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:42 AM   #9

At that year, good chances our coach was built and designed to run on the older Number 2 Diesel, not ULSD. The ULSD caused rubber fuel lines to start leaking, and several fires were reported from these in the years past.

We have two rubber fuel lines on our older coach. To the generator and to the Hydro Hot. I had both replaced with Gates Barricade fuel lines, as preventative maintenance. But most fuel lines, like a NAPA line, are now modified to live well with the ULSD.

You might take a look at your fuel line, to see if it has any sings of porosity that could let air in the line, and starve your generator. Or worse, be leaking.

Cheap preventative maintenance, and possibly a safety item too!

Best of luck to you, and yeah - chances are it's a fuel filter - but.
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:20 PM   #10

Good suggestion. Thank you, when I take it back into Freighleiner for them to replace the engine coolant reservoir (which had a hairline crack) I will ask about this.

Why/how does the ULSD affect rubber hoses, though? Just curious.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:11 AM   #11

Ok, so I replaced the fuel filter last night. It was late and I didn't want to disturb anyone in camp by turning on the genset.

So, waited until after I got back from tubing the Frio River to test it. I hadn't tihtened one of the connections enough, and had a small diesel leak. Shutdown, and cool off. Tighten.
Test for 30 minutes under high load as YouTube video demo suggested and so far no issues.

The drive home tomorrow will be the real world test.
I noticed that there has also been a long term small oil leak. Think it's coming from the oil filter. Ordered new oil and air filters and will attempt those repairs when I get home.
Also I guess I should do a oil, and coolant flush while I'm at it since I have no idea since its been serviced except it's been more than 5 years.

Feeling proud (so far) since I've never done anything auto mechanical before!

Here's to saving money, and hopefully doing it right.

Here you can see the oil leak. It's on the flex tubing leading to the fuel pump.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8d0owxvs7...leak.jpeg?dl=0

Here is the new fuel filter installed:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/glygqwpwqg...lter.jpeg?dl=0
Old 09-04-2015, 12:27 AM   #12

Any idea why image links from Dropbox don't appear correctly on this forum?

Old 09-04-2015, 04:36 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The links are good and the pictures look good.

Good job.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVideo View Post
Good suggestion. Thank you, when I take it back into Freighleiner for them to replace the engine coolant reservoir (which had a hairline crack) I will ask about this.

Why/how does the ULSD affect rubber hoses, though? Just curious.
Diesel will allow algae growth. Some fuel may be part bio which will scrub tank and lines plugging filters. I don't know of ulsd a tacking lines...that's an ethanol gas problem. Nothing like burning good corn whiskey.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote