Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2016, 02:59 PM   #1

Onan Generator HDKAJ11451J 7500

Ok, I need to replace my inverter/controller after only 446 hours. The generator has to be pulled, because it's not on a slide. My question is as follows: Has anyone had their inverter/controller replaced? If so, was it replaced with the same controller from the same company? What's the guarantee that the new controller won't fail? Do they know why it failed & have they (Onan) corrected the problem? Thanks for any feedback.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2016, 06:37 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Are you replacing the generator or the inverter?

There's lot of things that can go wrong with our gensets, inverters, etc. I don't think you really gave us enough info to really know what's wrong with your particular setup.

Good luck!
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:30 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have a 7.5 QD in my 2006. I am not aware of any wide spread failure of these units due to the inverter. Things break without being the result of design deficiencies.

Did you buy this coach new or used? Why do I ask?

446 hours on a 10 year old coach seems a little on the lite side to me. Is it getting regular exercise? The manual calls for 2 hours each month at 1/2 load. Give or take a few months that is close to 480 hours it isn't used for anything else. I don't know if that has anything to do with your situation but it is something to look at. (Page 11 attached file)

If you have to pull the generator consider a 1000 hour service. It ain't cheap but it is cheaper then doing it later and there are components that should be serviced/replaced at 1000 hours (or 2-5 years) depending on the components listed on the table. The 1000 hour service does a lot of parts replacement almost to the point of everything (hoses, belts...) but the motor itself. At least consider the 500 hour service. (Page 12 attached file)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ONAN HDKAJ 7.5 QD OWNER'S MANUAL.pdf (1.37 MB, 35 views)
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:31 PM   #4

I'm replacing the inverter/controller on the generator (code 46). Checked fuses, relays, grounds & all connections.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:33 PM   #5

Bought it used & exercise every month. I've had Onan in all my MH's over the years without problems. This is a first!
Old 03-24-2016, 09:43 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
I have what I believe to be a controller board failure on our HDKAJ. Without too much effort, I found a couple of shops that will repair the controller board. When I get around to fixing the Onan, that will be the path I will take. (Too many chores at the stick house after a long winter trip.)
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan