Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #1

Onan generator leaking oil

I have a 2007 Southwind with a 5500 gold Onan generator, less than 200 hours that started leaking oil after our last trip I can't see anything by looking through the door and access panel but it seems to be coming from lower part of the engine as everything that I can see the motor is clean but can only see the area between the cylinders. I will drop the genset when I get a chance and remove the gen covers . I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar leak or suggestions where to start looking? Thanks Roger.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #2

I have a 4kw Onan Microlite generator (1650 hours on it) that has been leaking oil for several years. As I was about to change oil the last time, I started looking at the drain plug. It's a standard 1/4" MPT brass plug and had a couple of drips of oil on it. I though "hmmmmmm" so I changed oil and put some Teflon tape on the drain plug threads when I put it back in. No more oil leaks!!!!
wackymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #3

My drain is on the front and my leak seems to be coming from to be behind it but it could be that. I will try since I'm due an oil change anyway. The oil drip off the lowest point of the aluminum generator base depending on how the coach is parked. I hate oil leaks and electrical problems!
Old 05-14-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If you have a tapered drain plug, put some teflon tape on it. If you have a drainplug with a copper or steel gasket on it look carefully at the gasket. Onan is notorious for overtightening these plugs at the factory. That can distort the gasket so that it doesn't seal properly after that. Also check for a loose oil filter. New filters need to have a little clean oil wiped on the rubber sealing surfaces so that it doesn't bind up when being installled and loosen up (and leak) later on.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #5

Thanks Cruzer I'll check those things out. By the way, love the name. I have a little business called Kruzer LLC, www.kruzerkaddy.net , I make cup holders for motorcycles. That's how I started RVing, istarted with a small toy hauler going to bike rallies to set up and sell. I strictly wholesale now but found that we enjoyed the rv so we upgraded to a motorhome.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with the name Cruzer and it works but choosing the name was a lesson I learned.

Our first RV was a Suncruiser so I grabbed Cruzer as a forum username here on iRV2, because Cruiser wasn't available. 18 months later we traded on an Allegro Bus. I didn't feel like changing the name to BusDriver and realized that I could be changing my name every time I traded.

Moral of this story - don't choose your username based on your RV.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #7

We wanted a Tiffin when we bought the south wind. A lot of our friends have them and we are only 50 miles from RedBay so Tiffins are the predominate brand around here. We tailgate at Ms State and once a year Tiffin shows up with a couple of new models plus crew of service techs. They knock on the door of every tiffin and fix everything that needs looked at. That's customer service. The South wind was one of those deals just couldn't pass up.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
The oil drip off the lowest point of the aluminum generator base depending on how the coach is parked. I hate oil leaks and electrical problems!
Roger, I too hate oil leaks. If the oil filter is over tightened, it will leak. I know because I do my own oil changes on the generator and the last time I over tightened it. The directions on the box (who follows directions) say to turn 1/4 turn after the seal makes contact. I gave it an extra little turn which resulted in a slight leak that would slightly drip. Because I had over tightened the filter, it was very difficult to remove and I damaged it when getting it off. I put a knew filter on and only tightened it 1/4 turn. Guess what? No leak.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote