Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Onan Generator oil

I was calling around looking for Onamax oil for me 7K Onan generator.

One place said they always use 10W30. any brand.

I called the RV shop that did my service last year and he said 5W30. any brand

The manual says use Onamax 15W40 but I cant find it locally. Will a name brand 15W40 motor oil work just as good? All of the 15W40 that I find says for diesel engines.

Can it be regular oil or does it need to be synthetic? I will change it every year or 150 hours, whichever comes first. I doubt if the original owner used synthetic, even if he did own a Jiffy Lube. He never used synthetic in the engine.

I have heard so many opinions, I don't know what to believe.

Thanks, Leo
Engle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2014, 12:04 PM   #2
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engle View Post

The manual says use Onamax 15W40 but I cant find it locally. Will a name brand 15W40 motor oil work just as good? All of the 15W40 that I find says for diesel engines.

Can it be regular oil or does it need to be synthetic? I will change it every year or 150 hours, whichever comes first. I doubt if the original owner used synthetic, even if he did own a Jiffy Lube. He never used synthetic in the engine.

Thanks, Leo
Shell Rotella 15w-40 dino oil is what we have always used in our gennies. Changing it every year or 150 hrs, whichever comes first, makes synthetic oil unnecessary as a "good" quality dino oil will be more than adequate.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:08 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Onamax is available at most RV stores, Camping World, Tweetys, RV Parts Factory, etc. Also probably available at any Cummins shop.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:41 PM   #4
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engle View Post

Thanks, Leo
If you read all the fine print on the label, you will find most 15W-40 oil will also work fine in gas engines.

The designations like CJ-4, CI-4, etc. are the diesel specs. The "C" in the designation stands for Commercial. Look for designations like SL, SM, SJ on the label. Those are the specs for gasoline engines. Make sure the oil has the same or later spec than specified in your generator owners manual. See American Petroleum Insitiute Engine Oil Guide.

I used Mobil Delvac for my last Onan oil change (gas). It says it works for gasoline engines, and the label is marked with "SM, SL."
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:34 PM   #5

I use Shell or Valvoline 15w40 Diesel oil. My generator states that 15w40 is good to use in temperatures between 10-100. The thinner 5w30 oil would work if you are camping in colder temps. I don't camp in the winter and don't need the thinner oil. Protection to 100 degrees is more important to me!.

I also spoke to a small engine repair shop and learned that small engines (generators and lawn mowers) have square cut tappets, like numerous diesel truck engines, instead of oval like a cars push rods. The diesel truck oil has a special additive that adheres to the square tappets and provides more protection than standard auto oil.

So it's always a 15w40 for me. Brand is not important as they are all good oils.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #6

And I can get a gallon of Shell Rotella Triple T (dino) at Wal-Mart for $12.99 a gallon. Good for two oil changes and a whole lot cheaper than Onan oil!
Old 03-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks everyone..... I called Shell oil help line this morning. They said it is ok in any gas engine that does not have a catalytic converter. Something about an additive in the oil reacts with the converter. He said it is OK in old cars but not OK in new cars. It all depends on the exhaust system.
Engle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:17 AM   #8

Thumbs up

Nice to know about Rotella T - a lot of us KLR650 motorcycle guys use it. I have nearly 45,000 miles on her, and it still runs like a Timex. Have never had the carb off or the cases split.
I'll try it in my portable gensets.
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeRevell View Post
Nice to know about Rotella T - a lot of us KLR650 motorcycle guys use it. I have nearly 45,000 miles on her, and it still runs like a Timex. Have never had the carb off or the cases split.
I'll try it in my portable gensets.

I use Rotella in my 1985 Yamaha Virago XV700. 138,000+ miles still running great, 47 mpg.
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:25 PM   #10

Most recommend using the same oil you use in the chassis engine.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan