Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2009, 07:08 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Mike - something is overloading the inverter that is pushing the 80+ amps and it shuts itself down. Typically that would mean a shorted cell in one or more of the batteries, but any short in the battery wiring could do it to.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2009, 10:22 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Are you guys of the opinion 80+ amps is too high? When I had the old batteries in there I'd always get from 80-110 amps going into those batts. I don't think this is the real problem, though. I've cut the charge amps down to 40-50 amps and the inverters/chargers still do the same thing with these new batteries.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bob, how did you reduce the charge current?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
Are you guys of the opinion 80+ amps is too high? When I had the old batteries in there I'd always get from 80-110 amps going into those batts. I don't think this is the real problem, though. I've cut the charge amps down to 40-50 amps and the inverters/chargers still do the same thing with these new batteries.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:08 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

80 amps is a bit high for bulk charge mode on a 4 battery bank - typically a 400 amp-hour battery bank should charge at about 50 amps in the preliminary (bulk) charge phase. Different experts have different numbers, but most say the max charge rate should be between C/10 and C/5, where C is the total amp-hours in the battery bank. 80A would be about C/5. The fact that you say it sailed right up to 80A-90A suggested to me that it was headed beyond that and quickly shut itself down. Had it stabilized at 80A I would have raised an eyebrow but probably not commented on it.

I notice you also say the inverters switch from charging to inverting and back. That seems bizarre. If shore or genset power is present, they should not indicate "inverting". If you see 80A and "inverting", that means to me the Magnum is pulling power from the batteries at a rate of 80A. Comments?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:13 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
For Hamguy...there is a setting called "percent charge" on the Magnum control panel and I can simply change that setting to around 50% and the charging amperage drops accordingly.

Gary, perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I wouldn't want to check/verify generator function when plugged in....so no, the 80 amps related to CHARGING is current going into the batteries from the generator. I think I also mentioned I have checked this problem using charge input amperages ranging from 20 to the max, which happens to be a bit over 100A. When the coach was new I would regularly find amps over 100 under charge, so I didn't think this was anything too out of the ordinary. The tech people at Travel Supreme said this was fine, although I'm with you...I'd like to keep it at C/5 to C/10.

Bottom line...The point I'm trying to make is it doesn't matter where I set those charging amps from the generator, the inverters/chargers cycle on and off for some reason and I don't know why. It seems the Magnums just don't like something, either input or output and are cycling from charge to invert as a result. To me, this would be consistent to an overload or error condition and this is some kind of self-protective measure built into them. And again, the Magnum guys were convinced this was NOT a Magnum product problem as their products either work or they don't.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:35 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
I finally got under there and pulled the covers to both Magnums. With shore power off and the gen running, I measured 118.0v and 121.5 V RMS on the respective inverter inputs from the generator. Frequency was 60.5 HZ. Output voltages were essentially the same voltage...maybe a tenth less.

So then I went in and turned off the inverters and found the system to be charging continuously-the inverters not tripping out and the roof A/C's running, other loads applied, etc. But when turning the inverters to "on", they trip on/off, of course. Then I turned off the two 30 amp breakers downstream of the inverters' output and they still cycled on/off....however, for a brief second one of the remote display panels flashed in RED the words "A/C Overload". Again, this was with generator running and no shore power, inverters on and both downstream subpanel breakers (load) off.

So this appears to tell me the generator is OK, the transfer switch is fine, wiring to the inverters is OK, but something perhaps in the Magnums is amiss. If turning off the load downstream from the inverters doesn't help, it would appear downstream wiring is also OK.

Does this shed any light on the situation? I think I need to call Magnum once again and see what they think.
2019 Newmar Ventana 3717
2007 Lexus LX470 Toad
Old 07-07-2009, 02:56 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Your getting warmer!
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
I finally got to talk to another guy at Magnum who went through settings on my remote display panel. He had me lower the normal settings for "A/C Cutout Voltage" from 100V to 80V. Now under generator power the inverters/chargers run just fine with no cutting in/out. While I'm ecstatic the issue seems to be resolved, I'm a little miffed the first two guys I spoke with DID NOT find anything wrong with those settings I was operating under. I asked him why I should think to operate under such a low figure as 80V. when clearly the generator was putting out about 120V...who woulda thunk it? He said that was just the way it was and sometimes that is what was required to make the inverters perform properly. So be it......

My thanks go out to all on this board who exerted their brain power in trying to resolve this issue-I truly appreciate all the input. It's nice to have so many offering their sincere efforts to resolve issues such as this....
Old 07-09-2009, 03:13 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Glad to hear that you have it working Bob. Keep us up dated if anything changes.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote