Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #1

Onan Generator Quit

Need some help please. 2012 Onan gas 7.0 HGJAB.. 300 hours.

After about 4 hours of running just fine, the generator began to struggle, sputter and quit. Error code 36. Gas related code.
Before doing anything, I attempted to restart the generator. It would always start and run very roughly for about 20 seconds and die. Error code 14. Since the original error was 36, gas related.....
- replaced fuel filter..no change. Runs roughly and sputters for 10-20 seconds and dies.
- replaced fuel pump. No change. Starts and runs poorly for a few seconds and dies..error code 14..

Any suggestions.?
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2018, 09:07 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Has it been exercised at least once a month?

It sounds very much like the carburetor is gummed up and sometimes the only solution is replacement;

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C....0.TAjIT1Blr_I
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Seneca View Post
Has it been exercised at least once a month?

It sounds very much like the carburetor is gummed up and sometimes the only solution is replacement;

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C....0.TAjIT1Blr_I

I have exercised the generator regularly but have not been diligent in exercising the generator. But remember, it died in the middle of a long run where it was running fine daily during our road trip..
Old 02-18-2018, 08:56 PM   #4

This may sound simple, but is there at least 3/8 tank of fuel in the rig? Genny will not run below 1/4 tank of fuel. [all genny’s]
Old 02-18-2018, 10:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx430ex View Post
This may sound simple, but is there at least 3/8 tank of fuel in the rig? Genny will not run below 1/4 tank of fuel. [all genny’s]

Full tank, of course.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:16 PM   #6

Maybe run some type of carb cleaner directly into the carburetor when running, spray can like Sea foam or Berryman chemtool b12. Or could be something got sucked up into it and now stuck in the jet area. Had that happen on a small motorcycle, the jet port is the size of a hair or less! Took apart and cleaned it ran like new. You have already checked off all the boxes on obvious items.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:17 AM   #7

Check oil level ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Check oil level ?

Oil level at midpoint on dip stick. Besides, I believe the low oil, or low oil pressure code and symptom would not allow engine to start and run roughly for 20 seconds..
Old 02-19-2018, 07:59 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
The oil level sensor has been a problem with many Onan generators. Top it off and test.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:05 AM   #10

x 2 on the oil level. Easy to check, easy to eliminate, and just may solve your problem.

When you changed the fuel filter and pump, did you take a look at the fuel that came out? Possible that you have contaminated fuel. Let us know!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
x 2 on the oil level. Easy to check, easy to eliminate, and just may solve your problem.

When you changed the fuel filter and pump, did you take a look at the fuel that came out? Possible that you have contaminated fuel. Let us know!

The gas that came out during the filter and pump change looked like any other gas I’ve seen. If it’s bad gas, at least MH engine runs fine on it.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:31 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Code 14 is off frequency caused by generator RPM too high or low. Many causes could be related to carb or governor mechanism. But I would be surprised if this was the problem. Visually check governor/carb throttle springs and arm movement.
I once had this code caused by one of the 2 generator brushes sticking. It's easy to pull out the brush assembly and check to see if both brushes slide easy in guide. Mine froze or stuck when the generator suddenly stopped for another reason when under high load (both AC compressors running), maybe sudden high current heated the brushes, but not sure. If stuck, push the brush to free and slides easy and re-assemble. Check service or parts manual to locate, held in by one bolt, and easy to access.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:33 PM   #13

Have replaced fuel filter and the fuel pump. Generator starts up and runs for 10-20 seconds and dies with a error 14. This all started after using the generator daily for a few hours at a time and ran fine until it decided to just quit after 3 hours of running.
Talked with Cummins/ Onan support. I had noticed that when I started the generator, the choke butterfly would flutter rapidly during entire time while running rough and dying. If I held the choke open manually, the motor would smooth out and run. After releasing my hold on the choke linkage, the generator ran smoothly on its own for 20 minutes until I shut it off. Starting it up immediately after this warmup, the same thing happens with the choke butterfly and gen runs for only a few seconds and dies with error 14!
Onan tech asked me to check for 12volts at the electric choke assembly which I confirmed I was getting. Will call them back tomorrow for next suggestion..
Old 02-19-2018, 07:56 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
I had this happen also, if holding the choke, I could get it running, but had to do this again when starting again. It generated power fine while running. I thought it was a choke problem at first. I touched the cylinders and found only one was hot, the other was cold. I was a bit surprised how well it ran and generated power on one cylinder. Spark plug and spark was OK. I removed the rocker cover on the dead cylinder and found the exhaust rocker arm was broken and so that valve was not opening. Ordered and replaced rocker and found the rocker arm stud was loose and had rotated several turns out of the head. Removed stud, cleaned, applied Loctite, installed & torqued, re-assembled rocker arm and set gap. Generator started and ran fine since then. Re-tighten all rocker arm studs as they where all loose. Mine is the same model of generator and it had 670 hours when this problem happened a year ago.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan