Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2016, 05:51 AM   #15

After consulting with local Onan distributor, they suggested changing fuel pump and filter. I did so, using Onan parts, and can report that the issue was resolved, the generator worked great while driving a 100 mile trip.
LenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2016, 06:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenB View Post
After consulting with local Onan distributor, they suggested changing fuel pump and filter. I did so, using Onan parts, and can report that the issue was resolved, the generator worked great while driving a 100 mile trip.

Great news! Will file in memory banks for future reference.
Drumster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Hi Len, wondering if you can give me an update on your fix.. are you having anymore quitting issues while on the road ?

I'm having the issue and wanted to see if the fuel pump was the fix.

Thanks
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:35 AM   #18

Changing both the filter and the fuel pump eliminated the problem.
LenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:38 PM   #19

I was having the same problem. Finally I replaced the fuel pump. Not sure if that was the problem or not because I had issues keeping it running afterwards. The fix for me ended up to be draining some of the oil. If was over filled, and that did it.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:26 AM   #20

Ok - Thanks for getting back to me on such an old thread... I appreciate it..

I do have one more question - While I cannot guarantee this to be the case, it sure seems to be.. but our generator would cut off after hitting a "bump" in the road.. Again, I'm not 100% certain, but it sure seemed the case..

So, did anyone's generator seem to cutoff/shut-down after hitting a pothole ?

Thanks
Old 05-31-2018, 10:31 AM   #21
Community Administrator

I had this stalling issue a few years ago and rectified it with a new fuel pump. What code is your gen set displaying ? Mine was 36 ( if I recall correctly )

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:35 AM   #22

Our 2011 Fleetwood Terra has had this problem since day one. Generator purrs like a kitten when stationary, then quits when we’re driving in hot weather (above about 95-100 degrees). Of course, there goes the AC when we needed it the most.
I’m willing to bet that your generator lives in the first compartment behind the front tires, like ours? If so, my theory is that it is being blasted by hot engine air when moving, which causes an auto shutdown to protect itself. Our genny runs fine at 115 degrees if stopped. We get a fault code of 3-6... “un-commanded shutdown”. Gee thanks.

Curt
Curtster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:49 PM   #23

Mine wouldn't stay running, too much oil... then it would run great but would quit after about 20 minutes of driving, too little oil. These things are as picky as the the kids[emoji848]
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:08 AM   #24

I tried to read the "trouble" code, but I was getting 33 - and according to my owners manual, code number 33 and 34 were intentionally left blank - I assumed I was reading it incorrectly.

I will have to re-look at that - I was going to suggest to my repair guy to just replace the pump.. but now I'm wondering if it could be a temperature sensor.. It was hot, like 90+ degree's hot this past weekend..

So, now I'm thoroughly confused...
Old 03-08-2021, 09:13 AM   #25

I have read all the discussions and still at a loss why our 10,000 Onan shuts down while on the highway at MPH
50-55. One tip I read was to lower the oil level by a 1/2
a qt? Our CODE is 36. 2017 QBH TIFFIN PHAETON.
Infinity2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:42 AM   #26

Quote:
My Onan 5500 HGJAB, generator will not stay running while driving, it will shut down within 5-10 miles. It will run properly for hours while the coach is parked. Oil is full, gas tank is full. This has never been an issue until after last service call which included carb replacement. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I had the same problem once. In my case it was the oil was too full. Even thought it looked to be the correct level once it heated up and expanded it seemed to trigger high oil pressure. I know seems unlikely, but try to drain a little oil, and then give it a try. Good luck.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:12 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Oil level

Quote:
My Onan 5500 HGJAB, generator will not stay running while driving, it will shut down within 5-10 miles. It will run properly for hours while the coach is parked. Oil is full, gas tank is full. This has never been an issue until after last service call which included carb replacement. Does anyone have any suggestions?
One of the most common problems with Onan gas generators is the oil level. The oil level must not be too full or too low or the sensor switch shuts it down. The oil tends to foam at the bottom of the pick up and then does not draw the proper oil pressure. I had this problem on my last Onan and an omen tech explain to me that there is a flaw in the oil dipstick. If you fill it all the way to full and drive down the road too much oil splashes. The oil level should be one halfway between the full and the ad mark. I found this out the hard way. Jen set shut down and I checked the oil and it was right down to the ad line. Like normal I dumped a quart of oil into it started it up and it ran fine for about two hours. Then it shut down again. I drained 8 ounces of oil out of it and it ran fine forever. I’ve now learned that if I need to add oil I put no more than 4 ounces in at a time. A quick check to see if oil pressure shut down is the problem is just pull the plug off the oil sensor. If it runs that way it is an oil issue or a sensor issue. Please this is not a long-term solution but should be used only for diagnostics.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:18 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
That sounds like the plug from the genset to the house wiring is either loos or corroded.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan