Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2016, 08:16 AM   #1

onan LP Generator

My Onan LP Generator ( model 63NHEFA 63753M ) was running great. It just shut down while traveling. I went to start it back up and the starter engages but the motor does not turn over. The oil level is correct and my battery are full charge.
I have a 1996 Safari Sahara Motor Home. It's a pusher with a 300 HP Caterpillar engine. The generator runs on LP Gas. Any ideas what the problem would be , before I pull the generator out. ?
thetabe49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 08:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetabe49 View Post
My Onan LP Generator ( model 63NHEFA 63753M ) was running great. It just shut down while traveling. I went to start it back up and the starter engages but the motor does not turn over. The oil level is correct and my battery are full charge.
I have a 1996 Safari Sahara Motor Home. It's a pusher with a 300 HP Caterpillar engine. The generator runs on LP Gas. Any ideas what the problem would be , before I pull the generator out. ?
thetabe49
Could be a starter or a starter drive problem...(or something as as simple as a bad battery cable connection).
I got a troubleshooting guide for my 6.3kw propane Onan generator here which has been very helpful to me:
https://www.flightsystems.com/troubleshooting/
Good luck.
Mel
'96 Safari Sahara, 250 hp Cat, (mine since '01)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
thetabe49
Could be a starter or a starter drive problem...(or something as as simple as a bad battery cable connection).
I got a troubleshooting guide for my 6.3kw propane Onan generator here which has been very helpful to me:
https://www.flightsystems.com/troubleshooting/
Good luck.
Mel
'96 Safari Sahara, 250 hp Cat, (mine since '01)

The starter hits hard like the motor would be locked up. The oil is at the right level. Only thing I can see is the oil pump may have gone out. I will have to pull the unit out to check it. If the motor is gone , I would love to put back a Honda Engine it the place. Do you know anything about that ?
Thank you for your time and troubles.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:28 AM   #4

If the generator cranks over but no start, recall the basics, check fuel supply (I believe there is a lp shut off solenoid), check spark, check compression.

If it is not turning over, try to turn motor over manually, perhaps with ratchet on flywheel. If it turns over manually, perhaps your starter gave out.

My lp genset (marquis 6500) started shutting down when hot. I replace the coil and condenser and so far its been working properly.

Keep us updated on what you find. Good luck.
Fugitive861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:19 AM   #5

Onan Generator

My problem is not the starter, Battery or fuel, but my next check point was to try and turn the motor over manually with a ratchet and socket. I thank you all for your advise. I just had no time to check it out. I will post the problem and how to fix it once I get to that time. Thanks again.

Tags
generator, onan