Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2017, 06:23 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Onan Marquis 5500 service

Not knowing when the Onan had been serviced last on our "New-to-us" Southwind, I changed the filters, oil, spark plugs, and removed and inspected the slip ring brushes.

The brushes looked good, so I re-installed them after cleaning the slip ring.

The spark plugs were sooty, seems like it was running rich.

The oil filter has been changed, as the one I removed was a NAPA filter.

However, it looks like the air filter hasn't been touched in a long time as it was nasty oily dirty.

WIX 42362 > Air filter

WIX 57398 > Oil Filter

Champion RS17YX > Spark Plugs

Onan Marquis 5500 Generator Service – 1999 Southwind 35S

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Generator_10_800.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	158838  
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2017, 04:13 PM   #2

I recommend changing the fuel filter as well.
Also check your altitude setting.
Mine was set at 7,000 ft, probably the last time it had been used.

Happy Trails
Old 04-20-2017, 04:32 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Two fuel filters. The upper one has a bypass available from Onan. This was on my 2002, YMMV.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:45 AM   #4

Check to be sure the choke is adjusted right. My 5500 only has 110 hours on it but one of the plugs was fouled out from soot. My choke was set too tight and wouldn't open up even after it was completely warm. After the adjustment all is well.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
The oil filter has been changed, as the one I removed was a NAPA filter.

I'm curious. What was wrong with having a NAPA oil filter on your generator?
Lynn
Old 04-21-2017, 07:47 PM   #6
WDW

How do you set / check altitude ? Do you change it as you travel in different regions ?
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:17 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Lynn;

Nothing wrong with Napa filter, The reason I changed it; I had no idea when the oil and filter were last changed or how long the NAPA filter was installed. The WIX filters are good quality, and that's what my local parts store carries and has in stock.

WDW;

Altitude (mixture) Adjustment

On my carb, the lever for Altitude adjustment was broken off. The Altitude lever should clip onto the "mixture adjustment" screw after its been adjusted properly. The altitude lever then turns the mixture screw a little in each direction. (NOTE - my home in NW Ohio is 650 ft above sea level. Yes, I travel out west a lot and have overnight at locations above 10k ft.)

I attempted to use the procedure in the manual for re-adjusting the mixture. I got the "rough run" at the lean setting, but never was able to get "rough run" at rich setting. Use caution when attempting to find the rich rough run, the needle will unscrew, fall out, and pour gasoline out the bottom.

I tried the adjustments at full load (both AC units running) and no load. same result. I ultimately set it at lean rough plus one turn.

When I get to a higher location, I'll play with it again, unless anyone has any ideas...

Charlie;

I need to check the choke. This was a problem on my old Mirada making it very hard to start when it was cold.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Lynn;

Nothing wrong with Napa filter, The reason I changed it; I had no idea when the oil and filter were last changed or how long the NAPA filter was installed. The WIX filters are good quality, and that's what my local parts store carries and has in stock.
Just for information the NAPA filters are WIX filters packaged by WIX for the NAPA chain.
You might have noticed the filter you took off had the same part number as the WIX filter except WIX adds a 5 as the first number on the filter. WIX air filters are the same as NAPA also except the WIX number will have a 4 as the first number.
WIX and NAPA filters are made to the same exact standards in the same plant. Either is a good choice IMO.
Lynn
Old 04-22-2017, 10:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Lynn;

WDW;

Altitude (mixture) Adjustment

On my carb, the lever for Altitude adjustment was broken off. The Altitude lever should clip onto the "mixture adjustment" screw after its been adjusted properly. The altitude lever then turns the mixture screw a little in each direction. (NOTE - my home in NW Ohio is 650 ft above sea level. Yes, I travel out west a lot and have overnight at locations above 10k ft.)

I attempted to use the procedure in the manual for re-adjusting the mixture. I got the "rough run" at the lean setting, but never was able to get "rough run" at rich setting. Use caution when attempting to find the rich rough run, the needle will unscrew, fall out, and pour gasoline out the bottom.

I tried the adjustments at full load (both AC units running) and no load. same result. I ultimately set it at lean rough plus one turn.

When I get to a higher location, I'll play with it again, unless anyone has any ideas...

Charlie;

I need to check the choke. This was a problem on my old Mirada making it very hard to start when it was cold.
I'll be honest, I don't like the way onans chokes work. My 5500 only has 111 hours on it and the throat of the carb was completely black, and one of the plugs was fouled out from soot. I have it adjusted where it is wide open when warm but it still has a small opening when cold. My opinion is it takes too long to open and runs the engine way too rich until it is fully warmed up. I had a 7000 generac in my Challenger and I have a generac 6600 set up for an emergency generator at my home. The chokes works much better on the generac. The onans are noisier too. The 5500 is quieter than the onan 4000 emerald series that was in the Daybreak I sold last summer.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan, service