Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2018, 08:04 PM   #1

Onan Marquis 7000 no power

Hey everyone. I just joined and am new to RV ownership so please bare with me.
Just took over ownership of a Fleetwood bounder. Everything’s was looking good and is working however I just realized or learned that the generator does not put out any AC power. Originally I thought it was the transfer switch. I tried to investigate myself and learned that no AC power is going to the switch therefore none coming from the generator. It starts up great and runs no problem. I found a trouble shooting video online and tested some of the pins on one of the switch is behind the motherboard. Everything seems to be with in the parameters of where they should. Stater good, back up stater good, installed new brushes, cleaned the deals under the brushes. What I don’t know is how to clarify that power or no power is coming from the generator. I will add that it worked about a month ago. It didn’t work then it worked and now doesn’t work again. I feel like I’m missing something. With shore power everything works but with generator, nothing. Where do I start? I’ve googled so much! Thanks in advance.
Two4twenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2018, 08:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4twenty View Post
Hey everyone. I just joined and am new to RV ownership so please bare with me.
Just took over ownership of a Fleetwood bounder. Everything’s was looking good and is working however I just realized or learned that the generator does not put out any AC power. Originally I thought it was the transfer switch. I tried to investigate myself and learned that no AC power is going to the switch therefore none coming from the generator. It starts up great and runs no problem. I found a trouble shooting video online and tested some of the pins on one of the switch is behind the motherboard. Everything seems to be with in the parameters of where they should. Stater good, back up stater good, installed new brushes, cleaned the deals under the brushes. What I don’t know is how to clarify that power or no power is coming from the generator. I will add that it worked about a month ago. It didn’t work then it worked and now doesn’t work again. I feel like I’m missing something. With shore power everything works but with generator, nothing. Where do I start? I’ve googled so much! Thanks in advance.
The generator will have 2 circuit breakers on it.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:07 PM   #3

Look in the compartment, where the power cord is stored, for an outlet that the power cord plug fits.

Some MHs don't switch automaticly and you need to plug the shore cord into a generator plug.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:10 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
need the model number to give best information. stupid question seems if I can not longe read. Cavie is correct.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:17 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Welcome to the forum. And generator will have breakers that need to be switched on.

ronspradley

ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:49 PM   #6

It is equipped with an automatic transfer switch. I went out to run everything the other night and it all worked. Start generator wait a while turn A/C switch and it would come on. I was testing the A/C was whole reason I was out there. About an hour later I tried again and it wouldn’t work. The. I started noticing nothing worked. Outlets, fridge, or a/C. I removed the panel with transfer switch and found the wires from gen to switch with no juice. So If I go inside the generator compartment where can I test to see if a ytbjngs coming out? I’d like to make sure I’m not loosing it someonwhere. If that makes sense.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:25 PM   #7

Quote:
It is equipped with an automatic transfer switch. I went out to run everything the other night and it all worked. Start generator wait a while turn A/C switch and it would come on. I was testing the A/C was whole reason I was out there. About an hour later I tried again and it wouldn’t work. The. I started noticing nothing worked. Outlets, fridge, or a/C. I removed the panel with transfer switch and found the wires from gen to switch with no juice. So If I go inside the generator compartment where can I test to see if a ytbjngs coming out? I’d like to make sure I’m not loosing it someonwhere. If that makes sense.
FYI AC = electric current
A/C = Air conditioning.
You need to look for a tripped circuit breaker on the generator.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:41 PM   #8

The breakers seem to be ok. I don’t know if they are supposed to be forward or pushed back but I’ve tried them in both positions. There is also a tiny red ruse in front of the breakers that is good. And the glass fuse on the front of motherboard is good.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:51 PM   #9

Quote:
The breakers seem to be ok. I don’t know if they are supposed to be forward or pushed back but I’ve tried them in both positions. There is also a tiny red ruse in front of the breakers that is good. And the glass fuse on the front of motherboard is good.

The breakers are marked on and off. Be sure to turn them OFF first then ON. Check them for voltage. Don't just assume they are working.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:23 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
I know from our Onan 7000 generator, if then generator starts and stays running, it is generating AC power for sure. If something was wrong with the generator, that is, no AC power generated, the engine's control board detects a fault and will immediately shut off the generator engine.

It would seem power is not getting from the generator to the transfer switch sometimes. There is likely a junction box between them that connected the 6 to 8 ft. of AC cable the generator was made with and the wire that continues onto the RV's transfer switch. It's maybe located inside a nearby compartment. Check it's spiced connections, 3 wires and a ground for being loose. The sets of wires are just twisted together with spice caps on each set. Remember that the transfer switch operation usually is delayed, that is, after the generator is running, the transfer switch won't pass the power on to the RV for 30 to 45 seconds. Good luck finding the problem.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:33 PM   #11

Onan update

Ok so the good news is it’s working again. Bad news I never got a good answer on how to test things. So after the last reply about (the generator staying running if power is present and to test and not assume the breakers are working). I assumed that correct and although I did it have power going to the ATS I have to ha e power somewhere. I pulled the cover to the generator and could see the inside of the breakers. What’s the appropriate way to test them? Volts or ohms? I was just kind of playing around with it. I got my shaving mirror out and looked to see what direction the breaker switch needed to be (pushed toward the back was on) I couldn’t find anything that wanted to read 120v. Anyways I got my fluke electrical tester that lights up when it senses power and when I put it in I could see that the wires to the breaker was live. So I tested the jbox connection to the coach and had power there too. Checked inside at an outlet and had lower. I swear I flipped these breakers at least 46 times and ran generator in both directions with nothing. So again. Now that it’s running where pre breaker or even at the breaker can I test and how? I’d like to test something while it’s running and if it stops again be able to test to see where the problem is. I’m really trying to learn something here. Now that it is on I’m running it under a load to stretch her legs out. Thanks for the replies too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16C5EEBB-05A9-45DE-8E45-9AB6BB50DEBD.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	377.9 KB
ID:	228345  
Old 12-07-2018, 03:36 PM   #12

This was the inside. At the back of the breaker how do I test it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8AEDCFA2-5C12-4B83-851E-3686FA9A7CCB.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	228346  
Old 12-07-2018, 04:37 PM   #13

With the generator running you should have 120 volts to neutral on all 4 of the terminals you have shown. If the breakers are off there will only be voltage on 2 of the terminals.

Tags
onan, power