Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2016, 03:44 PM   #1

Onan shows error code 11

RV: 2000 Bounder 39z
Generator: Onan Model 7.5HDKAJ11502F
Serial No. J990999200
Inverter/Charger: Freedom 458 Model 20D (with remote control panel)
Panel Box: PowerTek PDC1020

Background: Generator has always worked perfectly and exercised on a fairly regular basis. Returning home from a trip in the Spring, we ran the generator for 3 hours or so to power the AC, as we normally do in warm weather. Everything worked fine. A couple months passed before another trip was planned and when the generator was tested, it ran a few seconds and died.

Troubleshooting:
(1) The generator will crank and run fine when the breaker on the generator is OFF. If this breaker is ON, the generator will run until the transfer relays kick in, then it immediately dies. The error code is 11, Overcurrent Fault.
(2) My memory is a little fuzzy on this. While preparing for that second trip, the RV was hooked to my 30 amp pedestal. (this pedestal is wired correctly and uses a Progressive EMS-PT30C in line) The RV was hooked up for several days and at least twice, the Freedom 458 gave a "overtemp/overload" red light warning. The PT30C did not give any indication of a problem. After disconnecting and reconnecting the shore power the Freedom 458 seemed to work OK, with no more red light. BUT, I did smell a "faint" smell of hot plastic. No fuses were blown and the smell did not continue. During our second camping trip, the Freedom 458 worked OK.
(2a) This may be unrelated. In an outside bay, I have a Power Guard PG30 push-button breaker. Several times on this camping trip, this breaker would pop, killing AC power to the RV. A simple single-push would reset the breaker and restore power. This happened several times but when it happened, there were no problems indicated on the Progressive PT30C. When we returned, I replaced the breaker.
(3) This week, I decided it was time to fine the problem. I removed the cover from the PowerTek and I find two wires that have melted insulation. These Black and White wires are #10 stranded. One end attached to the two movable contacts on the right hand relay. The other ends attach to a Romex cable that exits the PowerTek box.
(4) The first thing I tried was cutting out the bad sections and making new connections. Cranking the generator resulted in the same problem. Next, I tried breaking the connection, capping off each wire end to take it out of the circuit, then cranking the generator. Same problem, it died.
(5) One thing that I have not done since repairing the burned wires. I have not hooked the RV to shore power to see if there is new melting.

At this point, I don't know how to progress. I have a Fleetwood electrical wiring diagram but it is the most impossible schematic I've ever tried to understand. If anyone has suggestions, I sure can use some help. Maybe someone has had this same problem? Direct replies can be sent to onanproblem at objectmail dot com.

Thanks,
Ed
W4KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2016, 08:46 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ed, what is a "PowerTek"? Is the the automatic transfer switch?

The first place I would start is to shut off ALL of the circuit breakers in your rv service panel and leave the shore power off. Start the generator and measure the voltage at the ATS. You should have 120vac from the generator and the same going out to the service panel. You should not read any voltage at the service cord input. If this all seems to work, close the main breaker only. Don't close the inverter breaker yet. If things continue to work correctly, close each of the other breakers on the main service panel. If things are still good, close the inverter main. Keep operating breakers. If there is a problem with the service panel or a branch circuit this is a good way to find the culprit. But, first you need to get past the ATS. I'll be watching your progress when you post.

Rick Y
Old 07-01-2016, 06:31 AM   #3

Yes the PowerTek is a combination of the transfer switch, 110v breakers and 12v fuses. I should have mentioned that when the transfer kicked in and the generator died, that all the breakers were turned off.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:17 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4KMA View Post
Yes the PowerTek is a combination of the transfer switch, 110v breakers and 12v fuses. I should have mentioned that when the transfer kicked in and the generator died, that all the breakers were turned off.
Ok. This helps a little bit. But it would be more helpful if you could provide a model number so that a schematic could be looked up. With that I might be able to be more helpful.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:35 AM   #5

Just a thought, is it a single breaker or double breaker.

With a double breaker, it is probably a 240 volt generator.
Could you somehow have both legs connecting at or near the transfer switch ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:06 AM   #6

All model numbers are at the beginning of the post.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:11 AM   #7

Tomorrow lm going to disconnect the ac in on the transverter and see what that does.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:10 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Tomorrow lm going to disconnect the ac in on the transverter and see what that does.
Sorry for forgetting to go back to the beginning. You did start this thread with very good information.

Rick Y
Old 07-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I have done all I can to find info on the PDC1020. Not even Fleetwood had any help.

I hope this helps. It is from my Onan Service manual:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan_20160703.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	351.7 KB
ID:	131942  

Tags
onan