Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
once more with the Refrigerator

Guess what's working again?

I'm really stumped by this but this morning I decided to turn it on again as I was driving up the rod toward San Antonio...

right now I'm in gift horses and mouths mode...
but er uhm any ideas?

would road bumps and such be enough to dislodge a "blockage"?
was something else really the cause?

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes vibration can give a burp or reconnect a loose connection on fuse panel, 12v connecting block near fridge or even in your display panel connections.
My 1200 didn't work until a camping trip and 12v loose connections at 12v fuse panel both the positive and grounds on ground buss at fuse panel.
Keep your fingers cross for now but may return to faults on trip back.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:10 PM   #3

Sometimes when these refrigerators are operated out-of-level for extended periods they develop blockages in the system. Infrequently, they may be removed from the RV and turned upside-down and shaken to free the blockage. Road vibration may have loosened any such blockage.
The wire connections 007 mention are very real. These corrode over time, which creates high resistance, sometimes to the point of insulating it from conducting electricity. Simply removing and reattaching the connections is often enough to re-establish continuity.
How do I know? It cost me $80 to watch a mobile RV repairman do it for my water heater.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:50 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Your post did not explain what symptoms told you that the fridge was now working again. If it is a case where the power shows that it is on but it will not cool, then that is what we experienced on our long trip last summer. Sometimes it would only cool down to 50 degrees no matter what. Other times, after driving the RV, it would cool down to the 30s.
After running though diagostics and, and still getting 50 degrees, we checked with several RV mechanics. They all told me the final test was to hook up 110 v directly to the coil heaters. If it would not cool lower than 50 degrees that way, every thing except the cooling unit was out of the picture. I replaced the cooling unit last week. Now it cooling to 31 on the medium setting.
krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If your frig has some rust/scale in the system, driving produces enough movement, it will often "unplug" the problem and it will work for a while. But at some point, the little particle will get stuck in an orifice and there it will stay and the frig will stop working properly.

This is a hard problem to diagnose and the solution is to replace the frig or cooling unit
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:07 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The whole story:
Until this recent event I had NO PROBLEMS with the refrigerator.

On the 12th I moved into a CG and went on shore power.
On the 23rd or so I noticed it getting warm but had NO FAULT CODES.
I assumed it was low propane.

Running around town shopping and stuff apparently let the deep cell battery charge up enough to fool me into looking at other things as a problem.

(see where this is going now?)

Then:
I had a "F" fault code pop up even though the burner never was an issue.
I had a "A" fault code pop up when I tried 120V... but a 5A fuse fixed that.
But I NEVER got the "C" fault code (that I saw) until after I was on the road again.

Bottom line? The deep cell battery was (is) not getting recharged off 120V.
I still need to fix this.
----
It may be the disconnect switch alone or it may be the boost thing.
As the disconnect switch doesn't light up I'll start with that.
Probably tomorrow when it stops raining.

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:32 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your using your coach your battery disconnect switch should always be on so batteries can be charged by converter or the Alternator when traveling.
If your batteries need to be fully charged use a separate 12v battery charger to get them back up.
If they do not hold a charge may have a bad cell in one of the batteries that will defeat the good battery's charge.
If you do not have a good 12v's control board and other functions will not work.
While your at it make sure you have good battery ground connections on frame of chassis and connecting block for the fridge.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #8

Isn't it odd that when something is mentioned, we tend to focus on that one issue? It was only until we received the "whole story" that 007 provided the solution.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote