Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Operating refrigerator on propane while driving

A recent article in FMC magazine had a contributor who says he never runs his propane while driving...instead he gets the fridge cold and then shuts down the system until he gets on location. First, does anyone know is this a common practice ? Second, is there a reason not to run the fridge on propane while driving? Thanks.
mscully103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Should have searched the threads....found my answer.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
I turn mine on the day before we head out to cool down prior to loading it up. It stays on auto throughout the trip switching between electric and gas as needed. That's the way the system was designed to work so I let it do its thing. Then it's off after we get back home and have unload it from our travels.
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mike,

My husband is a worry wort and he does the same thing. He asks me to get the fridge good and cold and then he turns off the propane for the duration of the drive. When we arrive at our destination, we run it on shore power or turn the propane back on. He says that the practice of turning off the propane while driving makes him feel safer.

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:19 PM   #5

They are design to run while in travel. The only time I turn my system off is when fueling. That few minutes is all.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #6

I believe there has always been the thought among many RVers that using propane appliances while driving is not high on the "safe to do" list. Many do but? One problem with leaving it operating is that most who do usually forget to turn it off when pulling into a gas station. Something I really want to avoid after seeing fires started from cell phone use or filling gas can in a truck bed with a bedliner. I fear being in a gas station when the refrigerator decides to light up might be a little like Russian Roulette.
kfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Never worry about it in M/H, simply pull into fuel stop, shift it to 12vdc and fuel up then shift back to propane before returning to the open road.

Had a LANCE Slide-In with 5 cu ft fridge that would run on the propane in the lines with the propane tanks shut off for up to 4 hours. Not sure how long the M/H would last since this is a Norcold Beast, huge fridge.

Be safe out there... enjoy the open roads Thank a veteran for our freedoms !
Old 06-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
A lot of folks look for something to worry about. You also need to shut down the generator and engine, do not use the cell phone while fueling.

Keep your food cold and enjoy life.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Generated a lot of comments...thanks to all....I will continue to run with propane on and my food cold
Old 06-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That is the practice the insurance companies recommend,, If you keep the door closed those things are fairly well insulated and you should be able to go 8 (six to 10) hours without turning them on.

As to what I do.. Well, I have posted that often enough.

The danger is the fridge can catch fire while driving

Since normally, at the end of the road I plug in.. I'd much rather it catch fire, if it's going to, on the road, where others can STEER CLEAR than in a crowded rally lot (About the only place I boondock) where it can set two or three other rigs afire before the FD gets there to hose it down. Just how I look at things, Minimimum damage.

But another consideration is once smoke appears INSIDE the coach, you have SECONDS to exit.. Just SECONDS. That stuff tends to be highly toxic. Nobody dies of being burned to death in an RV fire, they are dead BEFORE the fire touches them (That is unless, of course, the fire sarted cause they smoke in bed)
Old 06-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do propane powered buses turn their propane off? How about propane powered pickups or propane powered cars? Lots of refer cars powered by propane running around on the roads.
The propane system in your RV is designed, built, tested and CERTIFIED to be on while moving.
The propane valves we now have use a high flow shut off. If a line ruptures the flow is shut off, that's why you have to open the valves slowly.
You should be more worried about the gasoline in your tank than propane, but I'll bet you don't shut the gasoline off while on the road!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfalls View Post
I believe there has always been the thought among many RVers that using propane appliances while driving is not high on the "safe to do" list. Many do but? One problem with leaving it operating is that most who do usually forget to turn it off when pulling into a gas station. Something I really want to avoid after seeing fires started from cell phone use or filling gas can in a truck bed with a bedliner. I fear being in a gas station when the refrigerator decides to light up might be a little like Russian Roulette.
Most RV refers are up about 4 feet off the ground, that's much higher than gas fumes in an open area will ever get to.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
In the years I have been camping with ref. (since 1968) I have never seen but one propane fire. That was a class A with gas bottles. The owner had left the line loose at the bottle. It leaked and caught fire. I just don't get it. There are almost no propane fires and many people get in a panic about propane.
the Govt. figures on wrecks say 25% of wrecks involve alcohol, Yet no one hollers about drinking. I asked all my customers about propane and about 98% were careful with propane, But used it on the road.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #14

Would you rather have Propane or Ptomaine?

May you have fair winds and following seas!