Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
KIX

OPTIMA replacement

My 12 volt Optimas are finally ready to be replaced. I would like to get away from the three 12 volt batteries and switch to four 6 volt. I've really enjoyed not having to check water for the past five years and would like to find some volt AGM's to install. My problem is the price of the 6 volt AGM's.

So, it seems like my choice will need to be wet 6 volt batteries. Any recommendations?

Another question is that I have heard that approx. 2 oz. of mineral oil per cell will help minimize corrosion while not affecting the battery performance. Any comments on this?

Thanks
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
It's hard to beat the price and warranty at Sam's Club, GC2 6 volt $79 and when I bought mine had a 3yr warranty.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
My 12 volt Optimas are finally ready to be replaced. I would like to get away from the three 12 volt batteries and switch to four 6 volt. I've really enjoyed not having to check water for the past five years and would like to find some volt AGM's to install. My problem is the price of the 6 volt AGM's.

So, it seems like my choice will need to be wet 6 volt batteries. Any recommendations?

Another question is that I have heard that approx. 2 oz. of mineral oil per cell will help minimize corrosion while not affecting the battery performance. Any comments on this?

Thanks

I have done the mineral oil addition to my current 6 volt batteries and it has worked out well so far (~18 months). If you decide to do so as well, it is 2 oz. per cell on 12 volt batteries and 4 oz. per cell on 6 volt batteries.

Take a look at Sam's club 6 volt AGM batteries. They are Dekka 8AGC2-DEKA batteries for $160 each and are 190 AH res cap. For that price this is they way I'll go for my next battery purchase.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX

Thanks
You'll find most RVers prefer Trojan T-105s or Interstate U2200 golf cart batteries. Both have similar AH ratings at about 240 and both weigh in about 70 lbs. With a 3 stage charger and a little care, they will last 8-10 years. I have 4 year old Trojans with no performance problems.

Mineral oil works as advertised. I wouldn't however just dump in x oz of oil. The point is to float about 1/8 -1/4 inch of oil on top of the water. What I did was to make sure each cell was down at least 1/2 inch or at least making sure the water was well above the plates. Then slowly add the oil until the level increases 1/4 inch. Then top off with water. If you measure the oil added to the first cell, you'll know what it takes for the others. Unless two brands or type of battery have the same surface area in each cell, the amount of oil will vary.
jlyon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
KIX

Thanks very much for the info. So far it looks like I'll be using wet cell batteries to meet my needs. The mineral oil experience is quite valuable and I appreciate that info HarryB and jlyon69. Thanks for the tip on Sams Club, John Hilley.

We do have a three stage charger but the reason I am considering the mineral oil is to reduce the effects of off gassing. Can you guys that use mineral oil quantify the results regarding control of corrosion. Thanks again
Old 02-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #6

Kix,

It has been about 18 months now since adding the mineral oil and it has stopped all battery caused corrosion.
It was an ongoing battle before that, even with special caps on the batteries that were to reduce corrosion but it never really stopped it.

The addition of the mineral oil has certainly worked.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Can you guys that use mineral oil quantify the results regarding control of corrosion. Thanks again
I put 4 oz of mineral oil in each cell of our U-2200's in 2004. It cut way down on corrosion in the compartment and amount of distilled water I needed to add. I finally had to replace the batteries a couple weeks ago.
Here are pictures of the batteries after some years of use and no cleaning

Notice how clean the terminals are. In the upper picture right at the very top you can see the exposed copper cable where the tape has come off. It's still bright and shiny and it's been that way for several years.

After almost 10 years I'm still using the same fabric tie down straps too;. In fact there is less corrosion after 9½ years with the oil than there was after 2 years without it in our previous 2000 DSDP.

The red fuel container is what I use for distilled water storage.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
KIX

OK, I'm sold on the mineral oil now too. Thanks again for all the help. N ow, all I have to do is make the battery tray about an inch or so wider. I'll pull it out tomorrow and cut in half then weld it back together but wider.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
KIX,
I have used mineral oil in all my MH batteries with excellent results. You should be aware however that using mineral oil will void your warranty. So if the warranty is important to you I would either wait until after the warranty period is over or wait a couple of months so you know there are no problems and then add the oil. Four ounces for each cell on a 6 volt battery, as others have stated.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
KIX

Thanks RJ
Old 02-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will tell you this: There is nothing wrong with 12 volt batteries except for Optima.

IF you replace your 12 volt OPTIMAS with 12 volt AGM by say MK, DEKA, LIFELINE or any other battery than Optima you will gain roughly 50 percent more capacity. For every 60 amp hours you have now, you will have 100 with the new batteries.

That said, six volt golf car batteries (Which have the same power density per cubic foot) are lower cost, but way higher maintenance,, you heed to clean them 2-more times a year, water them (Check at least monthly at first) with DISTILLED water and so on,, AGM's or for that matter maintenance free, (Which cost less than AGM, but are harder to find in DEEP CYCLE types, NOTE that Marine/Deep Cycle is NOT deep cycle) do not need cleaning as often and watering ... Ever.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As far as 6 volt "Sam's Club" batteries goes- The motor home doesn't care who's name is on the side of the battery. They carry golf cart batteries and their warranty is better than most. The price is about half of Interstate's.

I'm a believer in the mineral oil too. Going on 6 years with mineral oil in them now. Zero corrosion.

Tags
replacement