Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2019, 08:52 AM   #1

Over the Top A/C Maintenance Cleaning - Easy

We all know you need to change the Air Conditioner Air Filters once in while but the RV Roof top units have an awful air filter.

They do a poor job mostly because they do not seal the inlet. The result is a plugged cooling coil. Plug the coil and air will not move. A residue will also build up on the fins causing insulation and that is not going to make your coach cold.

Getting to the cooling coil turns out to be very easy but you have to go onto the roof.

I my case and yours may be a little different, remove the outer cover. Now you see the compressor, fan and a ducting box. On my unit there was a plate on top that was easily removed to expose the cooling coil. The tools I needed were a screw driver and aluminum tape used to reseal the box edges.

Once you get the cover open the coil is right there. I bought some special spray foam made for cleaning the coil. I gave it a good dousing, let it sit for 10 minutes and nailed it again. I could visually see it was cleaner.

Tape the edges and put the cover back on that's it. Two units and done in 30 minutes.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2019, 10:33 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post
We all know you need to change the Air Conditioner Air Filters once in while but the RV Roof top units have an awful air filter.

They do a poor job mostly because they do not seal the inlet. The result is a plugged cooling coil. Plug the coil and air will not move. A residue will also build up on the fins causing insulation and that is not going to make your coach cold.

Getting to the cooling coil turns out to be very easy but you have to go onto the roof.

I my case and yours may be a little different, remove the outer cover. Now you see the compressor, fan and a ducting box. On my unit there was a plate on top that was easily removed to expose the cooling coil. The tools I needed were a screw driver and aluminum tape used to reseal the box edges.

Once you get the cover open the coil is right there. I bought some special spray foam made for cleaning the coil. I gave it a good dousing, let it sit for 10 minutes and nailed it again. I could visually see it was cleaner.

Tape the edges and put the cover back on that's it. Two units and done in 30 minutes.

Where did the residue (dirty stuff) go? Did you wipe it up, did it drain somewhere? Usually they say you have to spray the stuff off with water.

This is on my list of do's for the MH. I will be doing this when the weather gets cooler as I am sure the coils have never been cleaned. It cools just fine but I'm sure it needs cleaning.
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 02:50 PM   #3

The detergent breaks it down and it washes out with the condensation, so no hose job needed.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:38 PM   #4

I used a power washer to clean the coil. Just took the plastic cover off, covered the intake with a towel and shot it from the inside to the outside (reverse airflow direction). Takes 2 minutes.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:41 PM   #5

I cleaned mine 2 weeks ago, but first with the evaporator coil dry I used a small brush to get most of the dust etc. then applied the cleaner, purchased at H.Depot.

FSE Industrial Ceramic Kilns.
akpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:19 AM   #6

you.can get coil cleaner that is no rinse. uses condensation and the drain to evacuate the nasty stuff. word of caution that stuff can plug the drain in the pan. check it in a day or so to make sure the drain hole is clear
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance