RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2019, 05:05 PM   #1

Parasitic Electrical Drain on Leisure Unity

I have a parasitic drain on my 2017 Leisure Unity. I think it might be in my entertainment system but not sure. Any suggestions? Thank you BMM

bmacneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2019, 05:31 PM   #2

buy your favorite electrical engineer a six pack of beer and give him/her about an hour.....do not deliver beer until solved!

Old 12-08-2019, 08:00 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share. Read the various threads and ask questions as they come up. You may find your answer somewhere here on the threads.

Good luck.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:42 PM   #4

I thought the same thing. Found out it was the charger that was not fully charging the battery. Installed a smart charger (old one was pretty dumb I was told and would take 5 days to fully charge). Going to quartz site next month for a test.
NorCal27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacneil View Post
I have a parasitic drain on my 2017 Leisure Unity. I think it might be in my entertainment system but not sure. Any suggestions? Thank you BMM
I suggest getting a clamp-on multimeter. Put it on the battery wire to measure the draw. Then start pulling fuses until the draw goes away. At that point you'll at least have an idea of the culprit. Once you know what fuse it is, make a list of all the things on that fuse and start disconnecting things. You'll have it figured out in no time.
CyrusL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrusL View Post
I suggest getting a clamp-on multimeter. Put it on the battery wire to measure the draw. Then start pulling fuses until the draw goes away. At that point you'll at least have an idea of the culprit. Once you know what fuse it is, make a list of all the things on that fuse and start disconnecting things. You'll have it figured out in no time.
That's the exact way to check for a parasitic drain. If a person doesn't have a "clamp-on" style multimeter and only a regular VOM amp meter they can turn the settings to amps and disconnect the battery wire. Put one lead on the wire and one lead on the battery.
SiriusGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #7

Another way is to install a shunt based battery monitor- like Victron BMV-712. This will give you (via bluetooth on your phone) the Draw or charge that is occurring to your batteries. Then pull the fuses to find the ones with an unwanted draw.

Rocketman3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical