Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2017, 09:37 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
PI Surge Protector saved our week

Last week we were setting up at a local provincial camp ground when I noticed my AC's weren't kicking in. I was plugged into a 30 amp shore power and had never before had a problem when plugged into a 30 amp supply. Here everything worked fine except for my AC's. It took a while till I realized that I had no shore power and that all my 120v items were running off my inverter. Checking my Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW50C Surge Protector's display it showed a reverse polarity error and had shut down shore power from entering our coach.

Thanks to PI for protecting us from what could have had some serious consequences. It was a simple matter of opening up the supply pedestal and switching the black and white supply leads on the 30 amp outlet, problem averted. Had a great week with the kids and grand kids.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2017, 09:44 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club

But I can't help but wonder what happened to those who came before you...
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:58 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Ours has saved us at least half a dozen times from bad shore power at parks. Best $$ we've spent for an upgrade.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:36 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Sure glad you dodged that bullet Jake!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:24 AM   #5

why these things arent just mandatory in all RVs is beyond me. Mine save my ass the first time I hooked up at a campground with electricity. My wife even said why do we need this? first trip I got to show her how it acts when you have no ground.
ajohansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:29 PM   #6

We were in a camp a couple days ago in what was supposed to be 30A service. I think the PI 50amp protector I installed tripped every time we did something requiring 110 service (*EVERY TIME). I kept having to explain to her THAT is the reason we purchased that device you complained about...
Old 07-27-2017, 10:06 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm trying to talk my husband into buying a surge protector. From all the reviews I've read Progressive Industries is the best and most reliable. I've also read that if the surge protector is damaged because of a surge that PI will replace it.
We have 50amp service on our coach so I'm wondering how that would work when you plug into a 30-amp service. Do we still use a dog bone from the surge protector to shore power? I would also like to buy a lock to add to the surge protector. I'm not really sure how all this works. Thanks for any advice.
Jimmy_Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:53 PM   #8

Quote:
We have 50amp service on our coach so I'm wondering how that would work when you plug into a 30-amp service. Do we still use a dog bone from the surge protector to shore power? I would also like to buy a lock to add to the surge protector. I'm not really sure how all this works. Thanks for any advice.
x1 Following
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:04 PM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehghcty View Post
"We have 50amp service on our coach so I'm wondering how that would work when you plug into a 30-amp service. Do we still use a dog bone from the surge protector to shore power? I would also like to buy a lock to add to the surge protector. I'm not really sure how all this works. Thanks for any advice."

x1 Following
Yes a dog bone will work if pedestal is 30A and your coach is 50a..
Or if the pedestal is 50a and your coach is 30a
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:22 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarwiebe View Post
Last week we were setting up at a local provincial camp ground when I noticed my AC's weren't kicking in. I was plugged into a 30 amp shore power and had never before had a problem when plugged into a 30 amp supply. Here everything worked fine except for my AC's. It took a while till I realized that I had no shore power and that all my 120v items were running off my inverter. Checking my Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW50C Surge Protector's display it showed a reverse polarity error and had shut down shore power from entering our coach.

Thanks to PI for protecting us from what could have had some serious consequences. It was a simple matter of opening up the supply pedestal and switching the black and white supply leads on the 30 amp outlet, problem averted. Had a great week with the kids and grand kids.

I have the PI portable, a holdover from previous 5er, mounted in out MH. Was just in an RV park in Monroe, MI when an isolated storm came through. A mean, quick, 10 minute one. While inside, I heard the stovetop beep which is the sound when the PI lets power to the coach. After the storm, went and checked the PI display. It said power was normal BUT had a previous error (PE) for high voltage. I felt I had also just dodged an electrical bullet. [emoji15][emoji847]
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:43 AM   #11

I encourage everyone with an RV to get a Surge Protector with digital readout! 20 years ago, we had popups, without a microwave, frig, or AC that needed protection. Back then, my inverter was solid state and hummed.

Fast forward to today. Every RV has sensitive electronic controls, the RV parks electrical systems are often beyond max capacity. (Think Texas in the Summer) Under-voltage, current surges, and over-voltage are increasingly common.

Why wouldn't I spend $250-300 to protect thousands in electronics?
AWOL2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:47 AM   #12

Which Prov Campground ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarwiebe View Post
Last week we were setting up at a local provincial camp ground when I noticed my AC's weren't kicking in. .

I have a 50 amp 5th - as we Manitobans are aware MB Prov Parks pretty much have 30 amp (MAX if any electrical) - (except Winnipeg Beach).

So using a 30/50 amp dog bone is a everyday thing - works great.

Would be interested if this an older campground like Birds Hill - Falcon Lake etc.

I installed the PI 50 amp and other than the struggle with 6 gauge wire went without a hitch, several band-aids though.
CF-104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:24 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF-104 View Post

I have a 50 amp 5th - as we Manitobans are aware MB Prov Parks pretty much have 30 amp (MAX if any electrical) - (except Winnipeg Beach).

So using a 30/50 amp dog bone is a everyday thing - works great.

Would be interested if this an older campground like Birds Hill - Falcon Lake etc.

I installed the PI 50 amp and other than the struggle with 6 gauge wire went without a hitch, several band-aids though.

OP here, It was at Nutimik Lake that we had the problem, had just come from Falcon Lake where everything had worked fine.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:46 PM   #14

I always set the clock on the microwave and that tells me if the surge protector disconnected the power if I an out or asleep.