Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2018, 03:01 PM   #1

Pinholes in Onan Generator Crankcase

Pulled out my 2007 Onan Ky series to replace a starter and while I had it out wanted to repair an oil leak that it had since I got the RV. Thought it was the oil pan and/or crankcase cover and replaced those gaskets. Ran the generator while it was still out to check for leaks and found two small pinholes on the right hand side top of the crankcase (opposite side from access door). Oil was seeping out of the holes. So I patched with JB weld and that seems to have worked. Has anyone else had this problem? As it was in a crevice, it appeared to be a defective casting. I couldn’t find any other posts noting that problem, but curious if there are any others who’ve experienced this?
VinnyAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2018, 04:09 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a hole in the crankcase of a motorcycle once. Cleaned it real good, patched over it with JB weld, and continued to drive it for years.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I've never heard of that but it looks like you found a solution! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:51 PM   #4

I've taken a center punch and smeared the metal over.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:19 PM   #5

You can tap some lead in small holes. That's how they seal carburator passages, that need to be opened for cleaning.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:45 AM   #6

Thanks for the tips @ALLOY and @twinboat. Didn't think of either of those but both good ideas for next time. I probably would have stuck some lead in the hole and then put JB weld over it for good measure (as I sure don't want to pull the generator out again without a forklift) but I think the JB will hold it fine. I learned the usefulness of JB growing up on a farm in Mississippi where all we had was 20 year old equipment.

And thank you @MSHappyCampers for the welcome. Looks like you are in Columbus? I grew up in Hattiesburg area but went to engineering school at State.
VinnyAllen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crankcase, generator, oil leak, onan