Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi SarahW,
This response is a bit of a different view.

1. The technology is a commodity. They all work.
2. You've stated what is important to you.
3. Hubby may not feel the same way.

Consider getting hubby in on this purchase. For me the most important item to consider is how the system interacts with the driver while going down the road. Is the control panel easy to read? Do the alert sounds make sense or cause confusion? From the driving position, can the driver quickly and easily determine what the problem is?

I have the original Pressure Pro. 6 and 1/2 years later I have started to replace sensors due to low battery. Other than that the system works as advertised. The control panel is easy to understand while traveling at highway speeds.

I do loosen the sensors when the coach is not being used. The sensors remain on the valve stem, just not active. The sensors are removed from the toad.
Thanks for the input, Gary. Hubby and I have discussed the purchase, but he's usually not as "particular" as I am. (I'm the family research department, so once I have all the data, he will review it. )

I agree that the readability of the monitor is an important consideration, so I have spent a lot of time on TPMS websites looking at photos of the displays. As far as the other alerts/alarms, it's difficult to know how intuitive they are...so I have to rely on advice from you guys.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
Another happy TST customer here with another idea for you.
If you have the stock dually tires and your husband grumbles about checking/airing them - check out the "Crossfire" from Myers Trucking. I got a set and love them. They are braided stainless steel crossover connections that provide a single convenient check point and a visual readout of your tire pressure. They are about $70 per tire (so you need 2), but then you only need one TPMS per rear dually (so you save about $50 per side on TPMS). You must know the proper/correct tire pressure prior to ordering. I'm not associated with the company - just a happy customer that hated dually tire pressure maintenance.
So, 2 Crossfires ($140) and 4 TPMS ($200) would take care of the RV. You can add more TPMS sensors for a toad later if needed.
If no Crossfires, TPMS would be about $300 but you still need to put air in the dully tires at the valve stems (a real pain).
P.S. The TST 507 allows you to replace batteries yourself. Does not have a flow through for airing up, but is just like taking off a valve cap - no big deal..
Thanks for that info, Tom. I had not heard of the Crossfire.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:29 PM   #17

I have the hawkshead system and would not buy it again. Way too many false alarms and very reluctant customer support.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by srydve View Post
I have the hawkshead system and would not buy it again. Way too many false alarms and very reluctant customer support.
Good to know. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:18 AM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
I have ordered and paid for a TST sytstem from the States. Hasn't arrived yet but looking forward to using it. I found that the price of a simple six tire system was exactly half the price of a twelve tire system, but you got an extra monitor. I have six tires on the MH and four on the toad, plus two spares so I thought "what the hell" and splashed out for two six tire systems. I can now have a monitor in the toad as well as the MH for the same price. Just a thought.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:38 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
You will find MANY pros and cons with all TPMS based on each owners experiences and observations. Unfortunately, you can have Bad Apples in any brand.

However, the MOST important aspect of a TPMS is to HAVE one and USE it.

After my exhaustive research, I chose the Doran Pressure Pro and have use it for over 15,000 miles. I had one sensor failure on my initial trip while traveling to Alaska. Debbi from Doran sent me a new one while in Alaska free to replace the defective one. I have had zero problems since then. I always remove the 10 sensors from the wheels to save on battery life even though they say that it could be 5-7 years before needing to replace a sensor due to low battery.

The units with replaceable batteries may be convenient however I really prefer a factory sealed unit as these things are out in ALL types of weather and abuse. I want to know that they will work anytime when I ask them to without faults or premature failures. The flow through designs are convenient too but I prefer the smaller sensors that mount to the stems versus convenience. Regarding the ones that have welded themselves to the stems, that situation is caused by something more significant than just "Normal" use.

Remove any extenders you may currently have and make sure ALL stems are the solid ones including the inside dual. I purchased solid stems from Borg Tire in California when I had new tires put on and have had no problems with any of them. Most truck tire places carry them too.

I have had one tire blowout on my 30 foot tow trailer which I heard at the time but didn't realize that it was my tire until a few seconds later my TPMS told me that I had a FLAT tire and also which one it was. I immediately pulled off the road and I was lucky that I didn't continue on any further as I would have done a lot of damage to the wheel well of the trailer structurally and would have destroyed the remaining tire on that side too and possibly would have lost control of the trailer.

I purchased the repeater too as my tow trailer is a long ways back and I didn't want any Lost Signal problems to deal with. The four sensors I use on the four trailer tires can be removed and installed on my car anytime I want to tow just my car. I simply reprogram the base tire pressure for those four wheel positions.

Only my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:19 AM   #21

iRV2 No Limits Club
Problems with seizing can be avoided by using an anti-sieze compound. In fact, one of the TPMS manufacturers (I'm thinkin' TPS) recommends it.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:24 AM   #22

Buy the Nvision sensors on Amazon.com for the Pressure Pro. 2 for $66 Same as Press Pro. just different name.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:38 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If you an anti-seize compound make sure it's compatible with rubber as you have rubber in your valve stems and a rubber o ring in the sensor. Oil based compounds will attack rubber. Look for one that is silicone based.

You could also use teflon tape. If using Teflon tape make sure you start it 2 or 3 threads back from the end of the valve stem so it doesn't block or inhibit air flow to the sensor.

Anything that can potentially break free and clog the sensor or valve stem will cause you problems.

The only case of sensors seizing that I have read about appeared to have been caused by the use of a thread locker material.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:07 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGracie View Post
I have ordered and paid for a TST sytstem from the States. Hasn't arrived yet but looking forward to using it. I found that the price of a simple six tire system was exactly half the price of a twelve tire system, but you got an extra monitor. I have six tires on the MH and four on the toad, plus two spares so I thought "what the hell" and splashed out for two six tire systems. I can now have a monitor in the toad as well as the MH for the same price. Just a thought.
That's a great idea! Currently we do not have a toad, so the 6-monitor system will be all we need. I'm assuming that most brands will allow for "expansion" if/when we begin towing.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
...Remove any extenders you may currently have and make sure ALL stems are the solid ones including the inside dual. I purchased solid stems from Borg Tire in California when I had new tires put on and have had no problems with any of them. Most truck tire places carry them too.
Currently there are no extenders that I'm aware of; the Coach is new and the tires/wheels are exactly as they came from the manufacturer. Do most of the TPMS systems require valve extensions? Thanks for your advice.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:15 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Buy the Nvision sensors on Amazon.com for the Pressure Pro. 2 for $66 Same as Press Pro. just different name.
Good info! Thanks, Perry. I'm a huge Amazon fan.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:17 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Problems with seizing can be avoided by using an anti-sieze compound. In fact, one of the TPMS manufacturers (I'm thinkin' TPS) recommends it.
Thanks! We will surely follow the manufacturer's recommendation for installation.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:18 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
If you an anti-seize compound make sure it's compatible with rubber as you have rubber in your valve stems and a rubber o ring in the sensor. Oil based compounds will attack rubber. Look for one that is silicone based.

You could also use teflon tape. If using Teflon tape make sure you start it 2 or 3 threads back from the end of the valve stem so it doesn't block or inhibit air flow to the sensor.

Anything that can potentially break free and clog the sensor or valve stem will cause you problems.

The only case of sensors seizing that I have read about appeared to have been caused by the use of a thread locker material.
Thanks for the info.