Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2015, 06:23 AM   #15

You might want to add a small float charger for the chassis batteries. Depends on your system.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2015, 11:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
You might want to add a small float charger for the chassis batteries. Depends on your system.
There is a boost relay which momentarily ties all the batteries together. I have a big 'ole alligator clip on the two posts so that occurs. I remove it when we use the house batteries so the engine battery stays charged. When I travel I put it back on so the alternator charges the house batteries. If I wasn't so cheap / thrifty I suppose I could replace the momentary relay with a toggle one but they appear to be about $60.
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:20 AM   #17

On a 30 amp coach plugged into a 20 amp breaker you can even run one appliance along with the converter/charger such as the AC to dry things out in damp/humid weather or the fridge to get it cooled down before leaving. As others noted verify that your converter goes into float mode and if not consider upgrading it or installing a float charger to use instead.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:01 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderRV View Post
There is a boost relay which momentarily ties all the batteries together. I have a big 'ole alligator clip on the two posts so that occurs. I remove it when we use the house batteries so the engine battery stays charged. When I travel I put it back on so the alternator charges the house batteries. If I wasn't so cheap / thrifty I suppose I could replace the momentary relay with a toggle one but they appear to be about $60.
This is what the TrickleStart does automatically- you don't need to do anything. It takes 5a of current from the charge to your house batteries to jump to the chassis battery. Winnebago has been installing this at the factory for at least a few years now. Mine has worked great since I put it in 4 years ago.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Been there, Done that, First 2 or 3 years with this rig. (Then we went full time)

Advice: post make and model of converter..Here is why

Magnetek 6300... Well known battery killer.. DO NOT LEAVE PLUGGED IN

Progressive Dynamics with Charge Wizard (Many models) Well known battery care giver.. Takes very good care of them..By all means leave plugged in.

Others: Somewhere in between (Lots of bunching near the top though).
Here is the type of converter I have:
Intelli Power 9100
Model PD9106A
Input 120Vac; 30Amp
Output 13.6Vdc;60Amp

I have also noticed a high pitched whine when the converter is plugged in. Not sure what that's about...
tmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:16 PM   #20

Be sure not to run the generator while the Rv is plugged into the 20 amp service. I would check your owners manual to make sure damage will not happen if two power supplies are connected at the same time. I have been told that this can ruin your inverter or converter depending on the model you have.
Drobinsonmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:35 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We visited friends and parked beside their house, plugged into the outlet they have. Worked fine for our previous Dutch Star but the Magna is more power hungry it seems. The owner was out cutting with a large power saw. Everytime he started it up our power switched to the inverter so I assume his shop was on the same line. Never anything but a flicker as the switch over occurred and we were pretty much at minimum draw as I turned the charger down to it's lowest (10 amps) and was only running the TV, a few lights and the 22 cf refer. The AquaHot was on diesel too and didn't need the heat pumps.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:40 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drobinsonmc View Post
Be sure not to run the generator while the Rv is plugged into the 20 amp service. I would check your owners manual to make sure damage will not happen if two power supplies are connected at the same time. I have been told that this can ruin your inverter or converter depending on the model you have.
Usually not, but it could damage the transfer switch. Usually the transfer switch is set to change to the generator if it comes on. That's the way our last three MH's were setup. The one before that required me to change the plug around since it didn't have a transfer switch.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:55 PM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Wow, there's a lot of assumptions that have been made on information I've not seen posted by the OP. He has a Class C and asked if it was O.K. to plug in a 30 amp service to an outlet only rated at 20 amps. No mention of generator, transfer switch or lack or evidence of a BIRD system.

To the OP, before buying any of the gadgets mentioned by the well meaning folks, use a meter and see if any of it's needed. Measure voltage of house and chassis batteries at rest and then again after plugging in your shore cord. A voltage jump should be noted in both battery sets, demonstrating that all batteries will be charged on shore power. If not, THEN think about installing components to correct this.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:58 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
I use a 30 to 15 amp adapter and leave mine plugged in all winter long with a 100 ft extension cord plugged into the barn. Based on your OP, I don't believe your configuration will have any problems.

HOWEVER - As others have pointed out, If you have a single stage converter, these are not optimal for long term (months) shore power and being able to maintain your battery correctly. I wouldn't lose sleep over this, just be aware of the limitations and considerations.

Considerations - Check your water level in the battery every couple months, consider removing the battery, consider upgrading to a three stage converter or a battery maintenance device as others have recommended.

The battery systems installed on my MH are about as simple and inexpensive as the manufacture could come up with. Many of the posters have superior and more complex systems than mine and are very knowledgeable on DC systems , batteries, etc.

I upgraded my single stage to a three stage converter:

http://www.2001mirada.com/upgrading-...er-to-4-stage/

I also added a tie switch to connect the chassis battery to the coach battery to keep it charged. Not optimal, but functional.

http://www.2001mirada.com/keeping-th...n-shore-power/
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, service