Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Regarding OUTSIDE noise, do you consider the RVP/Coleman MACH 8 A/C units to be
About the same as most other A/C units 0 0%
Noticeably louder or noiser than most other A/C units 10 100.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2014, 09:08 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Poll - RVP Coleman MACH 8 Low Profile A/C Outside Noise Level

Just like to get a consensus regarding the noise level *outside* that is generated by the low profile RVP/Coleman MACH 8 units.

It's prompted by a rather unpleasant experience with a hostile camper a few weeks ago. After arriving at a state park after a day of driving we plugged in and our A/C units came on. To make a long story short after just a few minutes our campground neighbor (at least 100' away) didn't like the noise and became quite "agitated". After some unpleasantness we had to get the Park Police involved and the hostile camper was removed. Not an experience I want to repeat.

When our coach was first delivered, we noticed immediately after bringing it home that the AC units seemed significantly louder outside (perhaps double) than the AC units on our previous coach (older model MACH units on a 2006 Fleetwood Discovery).

I have heard from other owners of our same model year coaches with the MACH 8's that they have had outside noise complaints from nearby campers too.

Recently I observed a newish Tiffin in a campground that must have had these same model AC units because it was noticeably louder than other rigs nearby.

The last thing we want is to be disturbing our neighbors and I would like to get a consensus from others who own the RVP MACH 8's about their experiences with the outside noise level to help perhaps generate some corrective action.

I now consider this to be a serious problem in light of our encounter and the kind of hostility it generated.

Thanks!
Rob
voltdoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #2

I see you don't have many responses yet. I installed a Mack 8-13K unit two years ago and I find it to be noisy both outside and inside. Obviously the inside noise level bothers me more. I may look at the new Adwood units as I understand they are quieter.
I use it in conjunction with my basement main A/C in very hot situations. Due to the noise level I try to avoid using the Mach 8 and just run on my basement A/C.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:20 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry B View Post
I see you don't have many responses yet. I installed a Mack 8-13K unit two years ago and I find it to be noisy both outside and inside. Obviously the inside noise level bothers me more. I may look at the new Adwood units as I understand they are quieter.
I use it in conjunction with my basement main A/C in very hot situations. Due to the noise level I try to avoid using the Mach 8 and just run on my basement A/C.
Harry, thanks for the poll contribution. Never experienced basement units but I can see why they must be quieter all around.

In regard to our MACH 8 noise levels inside, I must say they are significantly quieter than the older MACH ? units we had on our 2006 Fleetwood Discovery. One reason is that our current coach has ducted returns and that significantly masks the noise - I have seen some posts in the Entegra forums in regard to "Hush Kits" that I think are available for the older Entegra's that don't have ducted returns - perhaps this idea is something that could help on your coach as well.

The other reason I think the MACH 8 is quieter inside is due to the two motor design and the ability to run the blower on "Auto", "High" or "Low" (controlled from our thermostat) and get the full BTU output at any setting. Between the ducted returns and running the blower fan on Low we really have no complaints in regard to noise inside - no problems watching TV or conversing with the AC running.

Thanks again!
Rob
Old 06-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
outside Mach 8 noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Harry, thanks for the poll contribution. Never experienced basement units but I can see why they must be quieter all around.

In regard to our MACH 8 noise levels inside, I must say they are significantly quieter than the older MACH ? units we had on our 2006 Fleetwood Discovery. One reason is that our current coach has ducted returns and that significantly masks the noise - I have seen some posts in the Entegra forums in regard to "Hush Kits" that I think are available for the older Entegra's that don't have ducted returns - perhaps this idea is something that could help on your coach as well.

The other reason I think the MACH 8 is quieter inside is due to the two motor design and the ability to run the blower on "Auto", "High" or "Low" (controlled from our thermostat) and get the full BTU output at any setting. Between the ducted returns and running the blower fan on Low we really have no complaints in regard to noise inside - no problems watching TV or conversing with the AC running.

Thanks again!
Rob

I had the same complant about the outside noise of the mach 8. got the factory
and Winniebago involved and was sent a new set of fan blades 3 verse 5 blade
and a support bracket.About a 30 min. job and what a difference.
It went from sounding like a jet to a microwave vent fan type noise
Rick FLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick FLA View Post
I had the same complant about the outside noise of the mach 8. got the factory
and Winniebago involved and was sent a new set of fan blades 3 verse 5 blade
and a support bracket.About a 30 min. job and what a difference.
It went from sounding like a jet to a microwave vent fan type noise
Wow, great info! I have complained to Entegra but the response was "it is what it is". I have not called RVP myself but will do so tomorrow. I assumed Entegra checked with them but perhaps not.

Did the presumably lower airflow from the 3 blade fan seem to affect the cooling performance at all?

Did the bracket you mentioned move the fan blade further away from the shroud grill? I suspect that alone accounts for a good portion of the noise.

Thanks again!
Old 06-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Just got off the phone with RVP/Airxcel/Coleman and indeed there is a new fan that will reduce the outside noise. As RICK FLA said the new fan is a three blade. It has a different pitch that moves just as much air as the stock fan, just more quietly. I was quoted $54 total cost for the 3 new fans I will need.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
New fans are quieter

OK, got the new fans installed. Big improvement in outside noise level! At least to my ears.

The harmonics of the sound with the new 3 blade is different somehow and does not carry as far or seem to reflect as easily off objects or buildings. There is a slight hum that was not present before but is not objectionable to me.

Noise level next to the coach is greatly reduced, noise level with line of sight to the AC units is also substantially reduced. The sound is more like other older AC units, maybe even quieter. Also reduced when the AC fires up is the sound made by all heads in the campground snapping in unison to see what rocket ship just launched. No worries of attracting hostile camper types anymore.

No reduction in airflow, in fact the new blades move slightly more air so there is no cooling loss. There is no change in inside noise level - our coach has ducted returns so the interior noise has never been objectionable.

Cost is $18 per kit direct from RVP and they pay the shipping. The part number is 1472B5041 and the kit includes the new blade and a support bracket. It is very easy to install. You will need a T-25 Torx bit and about 5 minutes per AC unit. RVP service can be reached at (316) 832-4357.

There is more discussion about this over in the Entegra forum.

Rob
Old 07-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks RVP

Thanks and kudos to RVP for recognizing the issue and engineering a solution. Not sure if I totally agree it isn't a defect and we should have to pay extra for it, but at least the cost is minimal.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #9

At WIT GNR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1405525551917.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	68061  
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:42 PM   #10

loud ac, big deal, what about the 3 barking weinmaraner dogs brought in and left outside in a pen to bark and disturb everyone, or screaming children or adults? Ac is ac and he was 100 ft. away so what did he think he would get in a campground, he should park in a cemetery, nice and quiet.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote