Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Portable a/c air conditioner

I'm sure some of you have tried some of these portable units on the market. Which ones are of your liking and why. I have 50amp and 2 roof units and am about to be full timing off of a neighbors power meter. I'm thinking/hoping a portable unit will be more economical than my 2 units. What main concerns/features should I look for if I do go with the portables
anewtoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2013, 10:58 PM   #2

Portable units are the least efficient. I would expect the roof units would be better. Check the nameplate for amps drawn versus BTU/hr capacity. The ones with the least amps for the most btu/h win.
bartlettj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #3

When you say "portables" I assume you are talking the ones you have inside, and have a hose going to a window for intake and exhaust.

While they work to some degree, they also put some heat back into the air because of their design.

On the other hand, if you are talking "window" air conditioners, they work great. With experimentation, I've successfully managed cool my 35 foot metal skinned RV using only a 9000 BTU window unit aided by the judicious placement of small, high speed, fans.

As the fans (24 Volt) are of high efficiency, they do produce some noticeable noise, but as I Boondock exclusively, it's worth the trade-off IMHO.

However, the Prudes of the RV community would never, ever, utilize such a "Hillbilly" method as this, But they they probably wouldn't be Boondocking either.

Ed
Navy Retired
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Hmm. Hadn't really thought about the window units. How did you manage the install? My windows slide side to side. The only one that is vertical Is the small window in the kitchen which is at most 16 inches. I doubt I'd be able to get one that small.
anewtoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #5

I've got a friend who uses a 9k BTU 'window shaker' in his Class C so he can get by with a small Honda ultra-quiet genny. In his case he mounted it in the storage space under the rear bed then made up ducting to blow the cold air out through the bed base.

His only goal is to keep the unit cool during the day, at night he opens the windows so having the unit right under the bed isn't a concern. Not losing valuable real estate in an already small C was.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:14 AM   #6

There are window units for casement windows ... depends on dimensions of your windows.
LG Electronics 9,500 BTU Casement Window Air Conditioner with Remote-LW1011CR at The Home Depot

However, most window units require external support.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #7

I had a portable Penguin with the intake/exhaust hoses that I used in a sunroom for a while. It worked very well. But, I doubt it is as efficient as your rooftop unit(s). I would check out the amp/btu rating of each to determine which is best before putting your money down on a portable.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewtoi View Post
Hmm. Hadn't really thought about the window units. How did you manage the install? My windows slide side to side. The only one that is vertical Is the small window in the kitchen which is at most 16 inches. I doubt I'd be able to get one that small.
My windows are side to side slide also, as in converted MCI Bus.

I placed a piece of plywood, cut to size, in a rear window, then cut the proper hole in the plywood.

Done properly, it takes just minutes to place, or withdraw, the AC unit, and then the plywood, for periods of travel.

I started experiments with a 2500 BTU window unit, and found that it will freeze me out of the rear one third of the RV (about 10 feet) when blocking off the bedroom.

The 9000 BTU unit cools the entire 35 feet to 80 degrees in 100 degree days, which I try to avoid!

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Agree the portables are nice but not necessarily efficient.
87bounder is offline   Reply With Quote