Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Portable Surge Guard Protector Repair

I have a 50 amp surge guard protector that makes a rattling sound inside. Yesterday I unplugged the power with the generator running so I could move my MH. I forgot to turn off the shore power 50amp breaker. However before I plugged it back in I switch off the breaker. I then plugged into the shore power , shut down the genny and waited the 2 min 16 sec for the surge protector to do its thing. The power came on & the surge protector started to hum & then rattle. I shut it down , unplugged it & I shook it Something is loose inside it. Now it was working fine before I shut it off. We have been in this CG for 6 months with no problems. There have been storms , but the power has always come back on. So I plugged in without the surge protector & all was fine. Not looking for advise on wether to use or not to use a protector. So today we moved to another CG. I plugged into the shore power & the surge protector did the same thing. Then after about 10 seconds it got quite as normal & all was well for about 5 mins, then it shut it self off. I unplugged it & plugged in without the protector. Sorry for the long story to get to my question.

Has anyone had one of these apart? If so were there replaceable parts in side that I should be able to find locally? I have not had a chance to open it up. Checked with Camping World to see if I bought the extended warrenty, no such luck. Of coarse they would probably say it was doing its job & is not covered anyway.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #2

I have a hard wired Progressive 50A surge protector and there are contactors inside that could rattle if there is a loose connection. I'm not familiar with the portable units but if there are screws on the case it couldn't hurt to take a peek inside. However, unless it's been dropped or banged around repeatedly I can't imagine anything inside loosening up.

P.S. I had a buddy in the Navy named Ron Sees, any relation? We had many an Olympia beer at the beach on Guam

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Dan,
When you unplugged from shore power did you have your air conditioner running? If you had a load on at the time you may have created a surge that the surge protector sensed. If you have the surge protector with the remote meter you can send the circuit board back to the factory for repair/replacement.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #4

If it is a TRC you will have to buy a new one. If it is a Progressive Industries send it in for repair.
tvman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #5

Commercial Member

dsbike,

This is directly from www.surgeguard.com

Q. Can these units be “field repaired”?
A. No. The unit must be returned to TRC. Please call 1-800-780-4324 x311 to obtain a return materials authorization number.

One person that I know who called for repair of an out-of-warranty Surge Guard unit was advised to "buy a new one."

As the Boy Scouts say, "Be Prepared" when you call.
SUMDALUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #6

Same here, that is why I now use Progressive Industries and no more TRC Surge Guard for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMDALUS View Post
dsbike,

This is directly from www.surgeguard.com

Q. Can these units be “field repaired”?
A. No. The unit must be returned to TRC. Please call 1-800-780-4324 x311 to obtain a return materials authorization number.

One person that I know who called for repair of an out-of-warranty Surge Guard unit was advised to "buy a new one."

As the Boy Scouts say, "Be Prepared" when you call.
tvman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a TRC 50A surge guard. The first one quit on me. It was running fine and then it wasn't. The wife noticed the AC had shut down. The TV was (I think) running on the batteries). I checked the voltage and all was well at the power post. The time delay light was blinking. I called TRC and was told to return it. I took it to Camping World and they were nice enough to give me another one and return the defective on the TRC.

The one I have now has done the same thing, quit working and the time delay light is on. The only difference is the other one had the "relay chattering" when plugged in. I just got the coach back from getting some service done to it and I will be taking the TRC surge guard back to Camping world to have it checked out again.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:40 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't rember if I had shut down the ac units or not. however when I start the genny it automatically switches to the genny. so should not of been an issue, but who knows.
No I am not related to a Ron Sees as far as I know. We are a small family from north Pittsburgh. My parents seperated when I was 6mo old. I do know there are some relatives in Pittsburgh, but I do not know them. Even so, still a very small fmily as far as I know.
The warrenty period is well over, so I may open this thing up when I get a chance & see what I see. Maybe able to repair it or may have to replace it. Most likely will need to replace it anyway.
Thanks for the assistance.

Tags
repair