Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #1

KZ RV Club
Possible microwave line hit

Hi there. My rig is on a permanent spot now and I just had a pre-fab patio room installed. They just finished this week and when I first went in I noticed the microwave was off. Breaker was tripped. Try to re-set it but it's a dead short. I am a licensed electrician and will start some troubleshooting today although this is actually the installers' problem. I just want to know if anyone knows how the RV may be wired. I'm used to houses. The microwave sits up high over the stove. It's along the same wall as the circuit breaker panel. The only place it looks like they could have screwed into it is along the top. My unit is a 2006 KZ Montego Bay Fifth wheel 37RLB4.
If anyone has any info on this particular unit and how it may be wired I'd appreciate the input.
Thanks, Mike
mikebusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
The micro is on a decated circuit it's the only thing on it I bet it's on the side the work was done. They do have shields on the wires where they run through the wall a screw run upward or under the shield can hit the wire. you might beable to back out the screws in that area till you get it to hold but you know as well as I do the cable will be breeched. Might have to run a new line to it from the panel
Old 07-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF the microwave is flush mounted in a wall cabinet the outlet feeding it is usually in a cubbord off to one side, In my rig it is the left (The Fridge is to the right).

Nothing special about the microwave at all, it is a standard off-the-shelf at Best Buy type with just two minor changes.

1: The paint job. Says Dometic instead of the real manufacturer, which in my case is LG (lucky Goldstar) and I have never been LUCKY enough to have a Goldstar I was 100% happy with. . Thoough at least in this case I could fix what they screwed up.

The other is a bit of sheet metal air duct to get the hot-moist exhaust air from the thing to where Damon wished it to go.

Find the plug, unplug it and see if the problem presists. If it does, then the job is well within your range of expertise, if that fixes it, then the job is more in my line of training (Electronics technician) and it is generally cheaper to scrap it and get a new one than to hire someone like me who actually works in the field.

I fix my own.. but I don't pay me labor.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:08 AM   #4

KZ RV Club
Thanks knightriderrv,
I know i will have to run a new line. What I'm trying to do is show the installer that the wire is in the area where they screwed into. Not that I think he will definetly fight me on it, but just in case. Some guys would say "how do I know in wasn't shorted before?". And to get to the actual screw, a whole lot of other hardware supporting the new roof would have to come off, and I really don't want to have to go there. My new line will be run from underneath.

wa8yxm,
I guess you've figured by now that we're talking about the circuit wire, not the microwave cord. I wish that's all it was. Thanks for the replies.
mikebusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like you have a good idea where to go next with this. I was just wondering if you have tried the microwave plugged into another outlet to see that it is working? My microwave stopped working a while back and after removing it from the cabinet where it is built in I found it had 2 fuses one was a typical unscrew the cap and remove the fuse and the other one was hard wired. Of coarse the bad one on mine was the hard wired one. I had to remove the sheet metal that the manufacturer doesn't want you to remove so I could replace the $1.50 fuse.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Whip out your VOM, check continuity to the power plug. Start by removing the plug and short the 3 or 4 prongs and find the offending screw/bolt. Then you can remove the short on the prongs and find which lines are shorted. Show it to the contractor.ng test leads

You may need very long test leads!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kz-rv