Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2015, 11:20 AM   #1

Power awnings

My Dometic weather Pro awning , while trying to put it in , it will move about 6 inches than stop and a minute later when I try again it will move another few inches. Any ideas ?
RotnRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2015, 02:26 PM   #2
paz

Something may be binding. The motor has thermal overload protection, which means it shuts off if it overheats. After it cools off for a few minutes, it will reset and run again.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:19 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine does the same thing! I'll be waiting for the solution here!
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:29 PM   #4

There won't be a 100% accurate solution as there are different things it can be, and can be different for all.

Motor can be bad, torsion on the LH side can be bad (if it's a Dometic, Carefree doesn't have a torsion spring), bad wiring, bad switch, or overall voltage issue.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:38 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've been fighting this issue for 2 years. New motor, no change. I found that some idiot wired the motor backwards which explains why the remote and wind sensor worked backwards. The had to wire the hard switches backward to make them work correctly.

Anyway...how old is the unit and can you tell us what model controller you have? If you have either the 3307916.001 or the the newer version 3308014.004 I have a service manual for those.

One thing you can do is locate the red and black wires that go from the controller to the awning motor. I would have to assume that even the new controllers have a 2 prong quick disconnect that connects the controller to the RV's wire harness which then goes to the motor harness located on the arm.

Once you locate that lead you can use a 12V source, like a portable battery jumper, and apply 12V directly to the motor. Keep in mind that if you apply a positive current to one lead and negative to the other it will either extend or retract the awning. Once you do that, swap the leads and it will do the opposite. Pretty simple. Doing this will either not change anything or make you think you have a new motor.

After rewiring everything back to the proper connections and redoing some of them to make sure they were physically and electrically solid, I still had the problem of the motor stalling. It really wants to stall in hot weather and when the awning is fully deployed.

Applying the 12V directly to the motor indicates the motor works fine. It didn't have any problems at all. The only thing that hasn't been reworked is the controller box and being 10 years old the relays may be overheating quickly and shutting down. So...I have a new controller box on order.

If that doesn't fix the problem the last thing left is to re-tension the awning tube. Perhaps I should have done that first but after talking to a tech it was a better than 50% chance the new controller would fix the problem. We will see.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:09 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well...mixed bag. Replaced the control board and the awning seemed to be happy for the most part. I ran it in and out several times and after a while it started to bog down. Today was pretty cool in the mid 70s. The odd part was when I switch the wind sensor on and used the remote that it instantly refused to retract. But...that was after a few in and out trips.

I still need to get up on the roof and test the wind sensor.

I need to consider 3 possible underlying (perhaps combinations of all) problems.

1. My 2 year old motor is having problems.
2. The left side tension needs to be checked.
3. The 21' awning size will always challenge the set up.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, power