Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2015, 09:59 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Power Gear electric / gearbox jacks

I'm a little puzzled about the operation of the leveling system on my recently purchased 2008 Bounder.

A little background first; my previous MH did not have jacks and I was able to level it in my sloping driveway by backing in and adding three tiers of the popular "lego" style blocks under each of the front wheels. The old MH set level enough that no blocking was required on a level site.

My NU2ME Bounder also sets level without jacks on a level site. However; when it levels out in my driveway the front wheels are 2 inches off the ground. This of course is a no-no and I think I need to pre-level with the "legos" before energizing the jacks. I believe what is happening is the rear jacks (about 3 feet behind the rear axle) become a solid fulcrum point rather than the rear axle (as my old MH did), creating the need for more front lift.

Am I destined to to pre-block the front for this relatively small slope or am I missing something?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2015, 10:36 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Mine only had to be blocked on some very steep uneven sites. That was very rare. My guess is that they are out of calibration. Here's a tech doc on how to re calibrate them.
http://support.powergearus.com/techd...alibration.pdf

I would email PG and discuss this with them. info@powergearus.com .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:27 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks again Cliff,

The document you sent will certainly help me with what was going to be my next question to the forum. Currently; when the unit is leveled automatically the nose is down slightly and to the left front (based on bubble levels checked on the floor and counters). So I know the system is out of calibration. The rear jacks are mounted considerably lower than the front so I originally thought I might be running out of stroke in the fronts, added 6 inches of cribbing under the fronts with same results and same height (extension). Need to find the box and calibrate but it kind of looks like I may be stuck with some pre-level. Think there is some basic geometry in play here.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:49 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another Electric Jack Mystery........to me

I have only used the jacks a handful of times and I thought I noticed something odd. Today I determined it is actually happening. My jacks are retracting as soon as I turn the key to run or start the engine.

The manual(s) I have indicate they will do this if the truck is not in neutral or park and/or if the parking brake is not engaged. The same rules apply to activate the jacks so apparently all is well with the interlocks at that point.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Think I found the problem and it's ...........ME

I read through the operational directions several times and was satisfied I was operating correctly. To put proper perspective on the problem I'll get more specific. When I set-up the coach for inside activity I level on automatic, extend which ever slides I want out, then turn off the engine. The problem, when it occurs, starts when I start the engine to bring the slide(s) in, running the engine is required in Power-Gears instructions.

The first time I noticed something amiss was after the slides were in, I exited the coach and found the jacks were up. The second time it happened I had only one slide out and when it was in I turned the engine off. When I restarted the engine the jack control alarmed and indicated they were down. Investigating found all were down halfway, no matter what I did I could not raise or lower them.

Yesterday, going through some links that member CLIFFTALL (thank you) had sent me, it appeared the unit needed to be reset. Five minutes at the coach this AM, problem solved .

Resolution: The operating instructions did not state to turn the system off after leveling. Tracing back in my mind I'm sure I was sometimes simply turning the truck ignition off after extending. This apparently confuses the leveler's logic when the key is turned back to run. I tried the system twice (turning off before the engine) and it worked fine. Hope this long winded tale of woe helps someone else if they encounter the problem.

If the system needs reset both the manual and auto lights will be flashing in unison, hold the on/off switch down for 3 seconds minimum.

Tags
jacks, power, power gear