Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2016, 03:40 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Power Gear Jacks, Float Switch.

My automatic/manual Power Gear leveling jacks stopped working and I'm trying to diagnose the problem. I found that the Float Switch, when tested according to PG tests is showing no resistance in either open or closed position. Question is, is the switch integral to the systems operation or does it just signal low fluid/jacks up or down. I already ordered a new switch and it's on it way, just wondering if I should also be looking elsewhere.
The key pad/control panel seems to be working, goes through its self test, I can put it in manual mode but the pump doesn't energizer, I can jump the pump motor and it will run but nothing to the jacks.

Thanks
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2016, 04:49 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Might be a silly question. ...have you checked your fluid level in the pump.resevoir?...im not 100 percent sure but my guess is the float switch is integral to the operation of jacks themselves.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:19 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The float switch only provides a warning if the jacks aren't all the way up for travel. It does not affect the operation of the jacks. It sounds like you have another problem, such as a power problem to the pump, re. circuit breaker or pump relay.

Bill
BEAUTIFUL PHOENIX, AZ
WSRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:45 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes plenty of fluid, right to the top of the fill port.
12v circuit breaker is good, pump relay??
I'll keep looking for the problem.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:14 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I have a small leak from my front jacks, and if the fluid level drops below the switch...they are stuck in the down position and wont operate at all until i re-fill the reservoir and push the switch....."mine are power gear jacks".
Old 07-02-2016, 05:16 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That's encouraging to hear. I should have the new float switch Tuesday so I will see soon if this will solve my problem. I'm hoping. If not I'll be doing more diagnosis.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:37 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewellz View Post
I have a small leak from my front jacks, and if the fluid level drops below the switch...they are stuck in the down position and wont operate at all until i re-fill the reservoir and push the switch....."mine are power gear jacks".
This can't possibly be true. When any of the legs are extended the fluid drops below the switch level and all the system does with that information is to light the "jacks down" light. When the jacks are retracted, if the fluid is low, the light stays on and an alarm will sound if you shift out of PARK.

If you re-filled the reservoir while the jacks were still down, you would have a mess of fluid on your driveway when they did come up, as all the fluid returns to the tank. If it's already full it would overflow everywhere.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:46 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by legryz View Post
That's encouraging to hear. I should have the new float switch Tuesday so I will see soon if this will solve my problem. I'm hoping. If not I'll be doing more diagnosis.
Read my reply to Thewellz.

You do have another problem, but being the automatic model, it may just need a controller reset. I'm not too familiar with auto level systems, but quite familiar with the manual systems.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:47 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the replies so far.
I replaced the float switch today and its still a no-go. More diagnosis, I'm getting frustrated but I'll keep plugging away.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:23 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thanks for the replies so far.
I replaced the float switch today and its still a no-go. More diagnosis, I'm getting frustrated but I'll keep plugging away.
Did you ensure that you had the switch aligned (oriented) correctly so it only moves straight UP and DOWN internally, when it floats? The procedure is in the Service Manual.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:51 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, rounded side up.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:23 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Yes, rounded side up.
The float switch, whether previous one was bad or not, is not the reason that your levelers are not working. IMHO

Automatic, and semi-automatic, PG leveler systems have always been somewhat problematic, or at least, confusing to us users.

Do you have the PG recommended controller reset procedures?

There is a whole raft of info on the net to sort through with a few Google searches, but I can imagine you've already done that. Sorry I can't be of more help.
lou

Tags
jacks, power, power gear, switch