Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2015, 05:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi,

I agree with everything said however I would check the 30 amp receptacle on the post and make sure it is not broken or burnt and then check your own 30 amp plug that it is not tarnished or burnt and that it looks tight.
Fear not - that was the first thing I did, well before I posted this. In fact, I took apart the post and redid the wires in the outlet several days ago, as they were a little questionable and there was a mudwasp nest over the top of the outlet. I have a solid connection there now - so at this point it's in my coach or I fixed it when I tightened the neutral wire (I hope).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2015, 07:41 PM   #16

Update - I think I still need help.
I've gone through everything - the transfer switch, my Progressive Industries EMS, the main circuit breaker panel - and tightened everything, checked everything, etc..

I'm still having power shutoffs. Here's what's weird - This was happening in January, then we moved to a new park and I didn't have this issue for 2 weeks. Now I'm in a new park (after a long drive) and suddenly it's happening again.

The power only cuts out when I use load - I have to use the Microwave/Convection, Electric Water Heater, A/C, or Heat Pump. Anything where I'm pulling 20amps total and after a few minutes the power just dies.

Any ideas? I don't smell anything burning, all the wires are tight, etc..

Thanks for any help.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:09 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
MOVE !!!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:46 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You said the problem still occurs when you turn the EMS OFF. Can you completely bypass the EMS? As in disconnect it? I think it's defective.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
MOVE !!!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Hah! This is the 3rd park I've been in and it's happened in two of them. I'm pretty sure it's in the RV.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bounder View Post
You said the problem still occurs when you turn the EMS OFF. Can you completely bypass the EMS? As in disconnect it? I think it's defective.
I'd have to remove the wires and reconnect them - as in put the main power cord back together.

That said, I only wired it in to protect from shore power. I've been running tests on generator power, and things haven't shut off, so I think you're right. It may be the EMS. Strange, because I've been using it for almost 2 years without this problem. It seems unlikely that it would suddenly go bad. I even took it apart and checked everything and it all looks fine.

Could it be the wires from the main plug that go into and come out of the EMS? The wires are not solid - it's multi-strand, so the EMS set screws that hold the wire in place do squish it. I've noticed that sometimes they (people) use some solder on the wire where it's being held by the set screw to ensure all the wire is in contact - do you think something like that would be the cause/and could adding solder help? Just spitballing here. Thanks for your help!
Old 02-17-2015, 09:46 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rich, anything is possible, however, unless those wire connections are visibly loose, i would put money on the EMS being bad.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:06 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bounder View Post
Rich, anything is possible, however, unless those wire connections are visibly loose, i would put money on the EMS being bad.
Thanks for your help.

I'll give it one more look and make sure nothing in there is loose, then run some tests. Fortunately Progressive Industries has good CS and a lifetime warranty.

What gets me is that it only happens under load. If I'm using less than 10amps, everything is rock solid. I'd think if the EMS was bad that power would cut out randomly. I'll get in touch with them and ask.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sure sounds like the EMS is bad to me. The clicking you are hearing is definitely the transfer switch doing its thing but that's only because something is cutting off the flow of power. Using the bypass switch on the Progressive EMS should eliminate most of the monitoring functions but it still sounds like the EMS is shutting down your power when it sees a high current draw.

If this were only happening to you at one park I'd suspect the park power voltage was dropping with high current draws. As it is happening at multiple locations though it probably isn't your supply.

The one sure way to eliminate the EMS as a suspect is to remove it from the circuit and see if you still have any issues.

I'll still be surprised if it's the EMS. Mine has been rock solid for nearly five years now.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #24

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Am I missing something here?

When operating on shore power, wouldn't the transfer switch would be "off", / "not energized". The transfer switch would only "pick" or "energize" when there is power present from the generator. Therefore, in this problem scenario, using shore power, my thinking is that it should not be the transfer switch dropping out, it should most certainly be the EMS unit dropping out. ?

I'm guessing you have an EMS-HW30 or EMS-LCHW30?

Sounds to me like the EMS contactor is dropping.

I think a call to Progressive Industries is in order. They are great at customer service.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post

When operating on shore power, wouldn't the transfer switch would be "off", / "not energized". The transfer switch would only "pick" or "energize" when there is power present from the generator. Therefore, in this problem scenario, using shore power, my thinking is that it should not be the transfer switch dropping out, it should most certainly be the EMS unit dropping out. ?

I'm guessing you have an EMS-HW30 or EMS-LCHW30?

Sounds to me like the EMS contactor is dropping.

I think a call to Progressive Industries is in order. They are great at customer service.
Power still goes through the Transfer switch. If you open it up you can see that both the power/neutral/ground from your generator and shore power are wired through the transfer switch - all it does is switch to generator power if the generator is running, and back if it isn't. I suspect that when no shore power is present it automatically switches to generator - so when the shore power tries to come back on through the EMS it keeps switching (clicking) back and forth.

Yes, I have the EMS-HW30C. Agreed on the contactor. I'm wondering if it maybe has a weak spring. When I got the EMS new the contactor was out of place - off the spring. I 'fixed' it at the time, but it may have simply been a bad spring in the first place that caused the plate to move out of position while shipping. Thanks for your help - definitely calling PI.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:51 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
Don, you're not missing anything. Many of us agree that the problem is the EMS unit. As you say, the transfer switch, if wired correctly, would be in the passive (inactive) state when plugged to shore power.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:54 PM   #27
YC1

Time to erase your memory and start fresh.

Remove the circuit breaker panel, leave the cover off. Grab a note pad and write down every voltage one every breaker and along the edge where the EMS relay wires are connected. This really has to be much simpler. Goes intas, and goes outas. Pretty simple. If it goesinta it it should go outta it. Find your broken or weak hose. Could be as simple as a shoreline cord plug. Moving it about may cause intermittent issues.

Now go load up the system and get it to fail. Go back and compare the voltages. Once you have those recorded check back here.

While you are at it, take some pictures of the open panel, your ems panel, and your transfer panel if possible and post them.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:21 PM   #28

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichK View Post
Power still goes through the Transfer switch. If you open it up you can see that both the power/neutral/ground from your generator and shore power are wired through the transfer switch - all it does is switch to generator power if the generator is running, and back if it isn't. I suspect that when no shore power is present it automatically switches to generator - so when the shore power tries to come back on through the EMS it keeps switching (clicking) back and forth.
Yes power flows through the transfer switch even when not "picked", and indeed you can have problems on that side of the switch, however lack of shore power does not "pick" the transfer switch. Power from the running generator "picks" the transfer switch contactor. Even if you have shore power, when the generator output is good, the transfer switch will "pick" and you'll be using generator power.

If you're hearing a contactor clunking, it should not be coming from the transfer switch if the generator is off.....

Sounds like the consensus is the EMS unit. Please let us know how it gets resolved.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power