Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2018, 06:00 PM   #1

Power Protection!

I have gotten past wanting a Surge Protector! But I would like to know when I find Pedestal that has over wattage, is there a device that will take that power and cut it down so I can safely use high voltage Pedestals without hurting my rig?
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2018, 06:14 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Simply no, when high voltage is present most likely it will be fluxulating and most the time on one leg showing signs of problems. Most protector's shut down at 132 vac. And will do a voltage check and if below that it will power back up. High votage above that means a wiring problem or transformer failure. Best investment for you equipment you will ever make......
Old 03-11-2018, 06:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Simply no, when high voltage is present most likely it will be fluxulating and most the time on one leg showing signs of problems. Most protector's shut down at 132 vac. And will do a voltage check and if below that it will power back up. High votage above that means a wiring problem or transformer failure. Best investment for you equipment you will ever make......
A Surge protector is the best investment is what your saying? And thanks for your feed back!!
Old 03-11-2018, 06:39 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
I have gotten past wanting a Surge Protector! But I would like to know when I find Pedestal that has over wattage, is there a device that will take that power and cut it down so I can safely use high voltage Pedestals without hurting my rig?

Not sure you understand what you are asking.

What does “pedestal that has over wattage” mean? The outlets are rated 120vac/15 or 20amps, 120vac/30amps, and/or 120/240vac/50amps.

Power and voltage are different terms.

There are adapters to plug your RV shore cable into most any outlet available which may limit what you can run.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:48 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
A Surge protector is the best investment is what your saying? And thanks for your feed back!!
Yes Homeless, put one in my Coach when I bought it back in 09, it has several times paid for its self since then. I have seen park's with not only high voltage but a lot with over loaded low voltage.....which is worse than higher voltage for your equipment.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:00 PM   #6

Autoformer (voltage booster) and a surge power protector......best 2 tools for voltage control

Autoformer will boost low voltage situations allowing you to continue using good voltages and the power protector will check for bad grounds/lost neutrals/hi/low voltages etc.

Best protection you can provide for your RV electronics/electrical systems
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:11 PM   #7

Wouldn’t be without ours. It’s saved us from both high and low voltage on numerous occasions...
Btipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:42 AM   #8

Ok for those that seem to know about such things. I check my electric with a simple meter that has two red areas with a green area in the center. If needle is in the center we stay. So let me ask another question on the same subject. I have found a State Park with every pedestal in the park pegs my meter. We didn't stay and understand why none of the week enders there had no clue. But what is possible problem with such a case of hi output?
Old 03-12-2018, 12:39 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Ok for those that seem to know about such things. I check my electric with a simple meter that has two red areas with a green area in the center. If needle is in the center we stay. So let me ask another question on the same subject. I have found a State Park with every pedestal in the park pegs my meter. We didn't stay and understand why none of the week enders there had no clue. But what is possible problem with such a case of hi output?
Hard to tell about your meter with just the red and green area's on it. Stand voltage is 120vac today, and if the voltage is lets say at 124 your meter might just go in the red. 124 vac is just fine.......the problem being, that voltage problems always arise after plugged in and during your visit. Not saying that you can't find a voltage problem before plugging in........
For around 20 bucks today you can get a digital auto meter........and the voltage number's will be on the screen.........
Is your Coach 30 amp or a 50 amp?
Old 03-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #10

My rig is 50 amp! After I have tested with my meter for dummy's. If in the green area then can move onto the Fridge to give me a more precise reading. Sometimes I have had the meter be at the high end of the green, if the fridge doesn't give me the hi voltage warning, I feel I am good to go. I have seen it complain when in the high end of the green area. Like wise I have seen low end meter still in the green but again I have found the fridge to give the alarm for low voltage. Then if I turn on my heat pumps or air and if the total travel of the meter for dummy's is all in the green I am happy. Am I making all this much to simple??
Old 03-12-2018, 12:57 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Lets forget the new meter, look into this https://www.delcity.net/store/50-Amp...hoCOh0QAvD_BwE plug it in, plug your Coach in to it.........and grab a couple of beverage's for yourself and wife.....sit down and relax..........and rest good knowing your Coach is protected 24/7 while plugged in to shore power.........
Sounds like a lot of work you do and seems you have missed some really nice park's due to not knowing if you should plug in............the manufacture I listed has a life time warranty on their unit's Homeless........
Old 03-12-2018, 12:58 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since I installed the Progressive Industries ems-hw50c unit in my RV I have found high voltage a few times. It seems to always fluctuate up and down. The last time it happened the high would read 137 and then it would drop back to the low 120's. I haven't found an explanation for the fluctuations yet. I haven't experienced low voltage issues yet.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:03 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
2 most likely causes, if high on just one leg, there is most likely a neutral problem or steady high or low transformer failing on the power pole.........or the park's electrical system is over loaded and to many on the line you are on.........
The end of a electrical run if not big enough is the worst place to be...........
Old 03-12-2018, 01:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Lets forget the new meter, look into this https://www.delcity.net/store/50-Amp...hoCOh0QAvD_BwE plug it in, plug your Coach in to it.........and grab a couple of beverage's for yourself and wife.....sit down and relax..........and rest good knowing your Coach is protected 24/7 while plugged in to shore power.........
Sounds like a lot of work you do and seems you have missed some really nice park's due to not knowing if you should plug in............the manufacture I listed has a life time warranty on their unit's Homeless........
Ok I'm not too cheep to buy this item. I assume you have one? If so can I plug it into the pedestal before I park my rig and test the power? Or is it the kind of thing that if power is not right it simply doesn't let you have power? Can I also use it for those cheep parks that only have 30 amp? I see similar items for $350 big different in prices?

Tags
power