Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2018, 03:59 PM   #1

Power system is not making sense at all!

I have a 1994 Fleetwood Flair and we have just got the weirdest problem in electrical that just popped up. We're in Florida now and was running our A/C to cool it down after being in the shop for 7 weeks. The power tripped once during this process and I was able to reset it pretty easily at the breaker.

It later tripped again and I couldn't reset it. I'm getting power to the breaker and the converter is sending power to the dc distribution panel for the battery recharge. However, I seem to have line power from the breaker panel to the back of the fridge. At the fridge I don't have power for that outlet outside or the outlets inside.

I've traced the power loss to somewhere in the bedroom, even though the bathroom gfci is working. I first thought it could be the gfci, but that seems to be putting out power. My fridge was only operating on propane power, but everything else doesn't have any ac output.

So there is line power to a 1/3rd of the motorhome, but the power isn't actually enough to run anything. My a/c is off and fridge, so we can't stay in our RV. It really sucks and I'm trying to understand it all.

I hope this is enough information to get some troubleshooting help. I will check everything tomorrow (I've got a few things going tonight).

Thanks,
Sheldon
BeyondBoundariesRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2018, 04:12 PM   #2

The A/C is probably on it's own breaker. I'd replace that as a starter and see what happens.

If it just brings back the A/C then you will have to figure out whether you have two bad breakers or something else wrong. If you need help with that then post again.

If it does not bring back the A/C then check the wiring at the A/C to see if that was left as a loose connection that came apart.

Why was the unit in the shop? That may or may not have anything to do with it.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:12 PM   #3

i'd also check in your storsge bays for another GFCI outlet.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:43 PM   #4

Does your motorhome have a 50 amp service? Sounds like a bad connection somewhere. Check your outlets. It could be a bad connection there or in the panel.
hivoltage98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:24 AM   #5

I'll have to really look at that breker harder. We just got a new engine put in.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
i'd also check in your storsge bays for another GFCI outlet.
That might be a possibiity.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivoltage98 View Post
Does your motorhome have a 50 amp service? Sounds like a bad connection somewhere. Check your outlets. It could be a bad connection there or in the panel.
I found one area i suspect has a loose connection i just cant reach it to check it more.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
The A/C is probably on it's own breaker. I'd replace that as a starter and see what happens.

If it just brings back the A/C then you will have to figure out whether you have two bad breakers or something else wrong. If you need help with that then post again.

If it does not bring back the A/C then check the wiring at the A/C to see if that was left as a loose connection that came apart.

Why was the unit in the shop? That may or may not have anything to do with it.
It was getting a new engine. I'll check the items you brought up.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:47 AM   #9

Try running the generator. That will eliminate any shore power problems. Check the area around the engine in case a cable was damaged or not connected properly.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:56 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most AC Unit breakers are 20a; if you have another 20a (such as MWave?) swap them and see if AC works then; I wud prefer AC and then MW can wait on new part :-) ; if it trips the other breaker, you may have blown the capacitor on the roof
Old 07-22-2018, 01:15 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
and we have a GFCI on bottom of cabinet OVER sink, facing down?
Old 07-22-2018, 06:17 AM   #12

A new engine should not mess with the house AC distribution. Unless I saw some physical damage I would make that a low priority idea. A remodel would have me make it a high priority.

Not sure what running the generator would buy you unless you are getting low line voltage from the park you are in. It might be worth checking the voltage at a working socket when the A/C trips. If I was having a problem I would be looking for a line voltage monitor. YMMV.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondBoundariesRV View Post
I have a 1994 Fleetwood Flair and we have just got the weirdest problem in electrical that just popped up. We're in Florida now and was running our A/C to cool it down after being in the shop for 7 weeks. The power tripped once during this process and I was able to reset it pretty easily at the breaker.

It later tripped again and I couldn't reset it. I'm getting power to the breaker and the converter is sending power to the dc distribution panel for the battery recharge. However, I seem to have line power from the breaker panel to the back of the fridge. At the fridge I don't have power for that outlet outside or the outlets inside.

I've traced the power loss to somewhere in the bedroom, even though the bathroom gfci is working. I first thought it could be the gfci, but that seems to be putting out power. My fridge was only operating on propane power, but everything else doesn't have any ac output.

So there is line power to a 1/3rd of the motorhome, but the power isn't actually enough to run anything. My a/c is off and fridge, so we can't stay in our RV. It really sucks and I'm trying to understand it all.

I hope this is enough information to get some troubleshooting help. I will check everything tomorrow (I've got a few things going tonight).

Thanks,
Sheldon
OK, Electric troubleshooting 101. Sounds like you have two problems. What breaker tripped? Pedestal? 30 amp Main panel? 20 AC breaker?

Turn off every breaker then back on. Main, Shorepower, everyone.

Why couldn't you reset it?? Did you turn it off first then back on? Again which breaker.

The fridge problem is not connected to the AC problem. If 1/3 of the power is out it is most likely a GFI outlet. Kitchen counters working? Does the bathroom test and reset? The fridge should not be on a GFI but who knows. GFI'd protect all outlets within 6' of water. Inside and out. My 27' Wildcat has only 2 GFI. Some have two. Pull the GFI that is working and look for loose connections. Get back to us.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
Try running the generator. That will eliminate any shore power problems. Check the area around the engine in case a cable was damaged or not connected properly.
I'll try that, thanks

Tags
power