Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #15

Thank you All.

You have all been helpful. I definitely have a lot to look into and it would seem the first thing I need is a voltmeter
To answer some of your questions. The problem is happening when on shore power. I have bought a surge protector - it does not kick off. I have also asked the campground about the power and it is lower than normal and the power grid is having problems however no other coach is having a problem.
As for the EMS, I have found the checker piece but not the main part but now I know what it looks like, I am sure I can find it. Is it just a telephone cable inbetween?
As for the kettle (a device that plugs in and heats water fast), I am connected to shore power when it happens. That is why I wonder why the battery drain. I was not sure if there was a way to have everything use shore power and not the batteries.
Beast778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
The phone cable just goes to a remote display in the coach. The other end should go right into the EMS.

I don't know your coach, nor what kind or brand inverter you have. If your inverter just powers a few specific inverter only outlets, then what you saw would be normal, sort of. Other inverter systems power certain outlets via inverter, but also switch them to shore power when present, at least when working properly.

Any inverter has a wattage limitation which the owner must know. Then only use with appliances (or combinations) that do not get too close too it's limitations. I have a feeling that kettle was using at or very close to the limits of the inverter.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast778 View Post
As for the kettle (a device that plugs in and heats water fast), I am connected to shore power when it happens. That is why I wonder why the battery drain. I was not sure if there was a way to have everything use shore power and not the batteries.
Beast 778
When you have shore power the inverter section of your "combination inverter/converter/charger" is not needed, and should/can be turned OFF.

If/when you are plugged in, AND your inverter is set to OFF, nothing can/will/should use battery power....... (any/all 12VDC power used is/should be supplied by the converter section of your inverter/converter/charger).

Apparently you have your inverter ON when you have the problem of battery depletion while using your 120VAC kettle on shore power??

What happens to your batteries if you heat the kettle, using shore power, while the inverter is turned OFF?

Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #18

That is a good question, now I just need to figure out how to turn the inverter off and where it is.
Beast778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast778 View Post
That is a good question, now I just need to figure out how to turn the inverter off and where it is.
Beast778
Ask how/where to turn ON/OFF your inverter, (and any other questions about your coach), here:

iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS Monaco Owner's Forum

On the Monaco Owner's forum you will have a better chance of getting an accurate answer from the owner of a similar year/model Monaco.

Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power