Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2007, 09:47 AM   #1

We have an infuriating problem with our water system on a year old Travel Air! Our dealer has had it back twice and sez it can find nothing wrong. The pump is a Shurflow . The dealer is "Worthless Travel Trailers, Inc" certainly you know them too!

Basically here's what happens: With the pump switch "on" and all faucets closed the pump will, without apparent cause, cycle on quickly for maybe a second then shift into a low "humming" sound. It feels like the motor is running, but no water flows. If a faucet is opened while the pump is humming there is no water flow and the pump keeps humming on & on & on. If you turn the pump switch off for a short time & turn it on the pump makes it's usual raucous sound water flows. This often happens sometimes when a faucet or toilet is open and then closed very quickly. It can also happen with a faucet barely opened so a small stream comes out as when one tests for the switch shutoff, but only a tiny little flow.

I have searched & searched for a leak without luck. I can't figure out why the pump starts in the first place. It must sense a drop in pressure in the outlet side, but I just can't find any. I had thought it might be a faulty value leaking in the "city water" intake, but I plugged it and it didn't help. Then a tiny leak from the water heater anode or relief value, it wasn't. The strainer on the intake is clean.

I suspect it must be a bad switch, but I don't know how to test it. The instructions say how to adjust for rapid cycle, but I don't have rapid cycle. Why the pump would "hum" is beyond me?

Any ideas will be so greatly appreciated! I am thinking the weakest link in these RV systems has got to be a plumbing (or lack thereof)!

Thanks - Bob
BobCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2007, 09:47 AM   #2

We have an infuriating problem with our water system on a year old Travel Air! Our dealer has had it back twice and sez it can find nothing wrong. The pump is a Shurflow . The dealer is "Worthless Travel Trailers, Inc" certainly you know them too!

Basically here's what happens: With the pump switch "on" and all faucets closed the pump will, without apparent cause, cycle on quickly for maybe a second then shift into a low "humming" sound. It feels like the motor is running, but no water flows. If a faucet is opened while the pump is humming there is no water flow and the pump keeps humming on & on & on. If you turn the pump switch off for a short time & turn it on the pump makes it's usual raucous sound water flows. This often happens sometimes when a faucet or toilet is open and then closed very quickly. It can also happen with a faucet barely opened so a small stream comes out as when one tests for the switch shutoff, but only a tiny little flow.

I have searched & searched for a leak without luck. I can't figure out why the pump starts in the first place. It must sense a drop in pressure in the outlet side, but I just can't find any. I had thought it might be a faulty value leaking in the "city water" intake, but I plugged it and it didn't help. Then a tiny leak from the water heater anode or relief value, it wasn't. The strainer on the intake is clean.

I suspect it must be a bad switch, but I don't know how to test it. The instructions say how to adjust for rapid cycle, but I don't have rapid cycle. Why the pump would "hum" is beyond me?

Any ideas will be so greatly appreciated! I am thinking the weakest link in these RV systems has got to be a plumbing (or lack thereof)!

Thanks - Bob
Old 07-08-2007, 11:51 AM   #3

Hi. We are on our 6th (SIXTH) water pump. after #3 failed, we upgraded to their "best" and it lasted for about 7 months. Call Shur-Flo direct....quit messing around with the dealers or CW. CW installed 4 of them with manufacturer covering all expenses...of course, CW installed two of them wrong...so, find a RV mobile fellow, call the manufacturer and there you go!
KathiE-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:50 AM   #4

The last time that we were out our with the 5er the water pump was giving out short "burps" for no apparent reason. (no water leaks??)

Later, I was perparing for the return to the city and I noticed that the "fill cap" was just hanging by the cord. I placed it back where it should have been and the "burping" was not heard again.

Was the open fill spout and the sounds related?
If so could this have been the problem of others with broken pumps?
If not ... perhaps I'll be next in line for a new Shurflow.
Jack-Pine Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:20 AM   #5

I've talked with the Shurflo Tech guys and sent the pump back for them to look at. They had no immediate suggestion or idea as to what might be wroing. Correction: they had a zillion ideas as to what might be wrong.

More - later....
Old 07-14-2007, 06:04 PM   #6

I have a very low hr SF 2.5 (?) and it is making an irratic roar rather than the usual steady roar.

I pulled it apart to the brushes on the motor. There is no reason for it to spit and sputter. Does the same thing after reassembly.

I think these pumps are all junk.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:57 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
check the inlet ,where you put the city hose on there is a check valve in there ,you maybe sucking air instead of water from the tank.
good luck
\Sal Avitabile
Old 07-15-2007, 08:33 AM   #8

Thanks! That is a very valid point and one which is so easy to overlook!

I am sure, 100%, that it is in the pump, which is back at Shurflo, so I'll report what they say!

Thanks - Bob
Old 07-21-2007, 04:14 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had similar problem with Sureflo pump.
Pump running sporatically or continuously seemed to be related to a mispositionedo or leaking 3 way ball type water valve that is used to reroute city water to the fill tank position. Some water was bypassing this valve and the pump was pumping in a circle.(not hooked to city water). The pump eventually burned out.(last year)

More recently the new pump started to sound different when the faucet was opened. Pumped water seemed to pulsate more and with lower pressure. The next day, at a campground with city water, we woke up to the sound of running water. Outside was a stream of water flowing from our camp site. I checked tank level gages and saw fresh water at full. Water from fresh tank overflow was running on the ground. The night before it was less then 1/3. Since we had hook ups including sewer, I pumped the fresh tank down by about 75 gallons. The pump sounded normal after that and operated with smoother higher pressure.

No pump problems since then. I surmised that one of the pumps valves may have been leaking under city water pressure due to something stuck on it. This must have allowed the fresh tank to fill itself. It apparently cleared itself during the long pump run.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:35 AM   #10

Here's my report to all those who helped for which I am most grateful!

After all that heartbreaking, mind-boggling, pain in the.... Six camping trips spoiled by a faulty water system. Five hundred miles of driving back & forth to the dealer!!! I can't compute the countless hours lying on the floor doing everything to the water system anyone could dream of!

Shurflo found the original issue pump to be defective! Evidently my "dealer" never even bothered to test the darn thing! I might have guessed. What a poor outfit!

Anyway, Shurflo sent me a new pump (postage paid), which I immediately sold on Ebay for $50 to help finance the new Shurflo 5.7 I had bought. The 5.7 thus far it seems well worth the much larger price. Very quiet! Amazingly quiet, but still loud enough you can tell it is running. Everything they said it would be. Hope it lasts!

I am very satisfied with Shurflo's guarantee. I am just sorry I didn't call them right off the bat. Richard at their Tech desk was very helpful in talking about the entire water system not just their pump. He was interested in me & my problem not just protecting his product! Thanks Richard!!!