Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2015, 08:01 AM   #1

Progressive Dynamics PD4645 problem HELP!

Quick question I have a 2000 Rexhall Aerobus, I just replaced my power convert with the “Progressive Dynamics PD4645” I have noticed that when I unplug from shore power that the charging light on the power distribution board light up Indicating that its charging, it seem that the charger is running off the house batteries. I have not been able to find any troubleshoot info. At Progressive Dynamics web page any suggestions or though?
Richard V
Richardv58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2015, 06:26 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you mean the status light that says BOOST/FLOAT/Absorb based on the flash rate.. ti's a volt meter that's all. and yes it runs on 12 volts.. Draws flea power.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:06 PM   #3

The light goes solid green indacting it in “boost mode”, it seem to be putting a drain on the batteries it seems to be trying to charge it self using the batteries?

again thanks for any input or thoughs
Richard
Old 08-01-2015, 10:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardv58 View Post
The light goes solid green indacting it in “boost mode”, it seem to be putting a drain on the batteries it seems to be trying to charge it self using the batteries?

again thanks for any input or thoughs
Richard
Do you have an inverter. If you do, the charger needs to be wired before the 120 volt inverter feed.

If not " Never Mind "
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:12 AM   #5

No inverter at all, do you think it could be the Transfer Switches ?
Old 08-02-2015, 12:07 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I just replaced one

I just replaced a parallax 7300 series Converter charger with a PD4655 which is the same as yours only 55 amps instead of 45 amp. I assume you replaced a converter charger that was located in the bottom half of your motor homes distribution panel. When you installed the new pd4645 did you follow the instructions. That light should not stay on when off of shore power. Did you install a new circuit board that came with the unit? Make sure you don't have the battery and converter wires or one of them mixed up. Did you move the wires from the old circuit board to the new one starting left to right 1234 and so on. also in my case the neg bat Grn wire and converter White wire are next to each other. Make sur you don't have them mixed up. make sure the 4 wire with connectors on both ends are plugged in to the circuit board and the pd4645 if you need instructions I will send you a copy. PM me if you do. a owners manual should tell you how the unit operates.
Mel
Old 08-02-2015, 08:47 PM   #7

I'm not familiar with the PD4645, but models where a remote pendant is used, the light stays on all the time. It's just a simple 3 step volt meter.

From the PD92201 pendant owner's manual:

Note: When no 120 VAC power is applied to the RV through the Shore Power Cord, or Generator, the Indicator Light will remain "ON" at all times. This indicates that the Charge Wizard is monitoring the battery voltage.

I suspect that it works the same, even though it isn't mentioned in the PD4645 manual. That is, unless they have figured out a way to make the batteries charge from themselves. But I haven't read about a perpetual motion machine being made yet, so I don't think that's it.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:11 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Istand corrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
I'm not familiar with the PD4645, but models where a remote pendant is used, the light stays on all the time. It's just a simple 3 step volt meter.

From the PD92201 pendant owner's manual:

Note: When no 120 VAC power is applied to the RV through the Shore Power Cord, or Generator, the Indicator Light will remain "ON" at all times. This indicates that the Charge Wizard is monitoring the battery voltage.

I suspect that it works the same, even though it isn't mentioned in the PD4645 manual. That is, unless they have figured out a way to make the batteries charge from themselves. But I haven't read about a perpetual motion machine being made yet, so I don't think that's it.
I stand corrected. The light will stay on when disconnected from shore power as long as the Battery / batteries are connected. If you have a switch which will disconnect the battery / batteries from the chassis and the coach, then it will not be lit when disconnected from shore power. Otherwise it will be lit all of the time.
Mel