Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Progressive industries 50A hard wired surge protector remote display

The include remote display is hideous. I know they work well but really a black surface mount box with bright red LCD display. I mean Christmas tree red?

The wire has the data. Does anyone make a combo back up monitor/energy management system screen that accepts progressives phone cable for the energy and old camera cables for the video and camera?

Jeff
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2014, 04:00 PM   #2

If you don't like it's looks, put it in a lower compartment where you can see it when you hook up. While the surge protector checks the inbound current and connects you to shore power is when you need to be monitoring things. After you're connected, unless you're easily entertained, watching it cycle through it's checks is a waste of time. After you are connected if an error occurs and drops you off shore power, the error code will tell you the problem. Another option is inside an interior compartment.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:05 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Progressive Industies use a DATA cable, not a phone cable for the remote. In a 4 conductor phone wire, the wires 'twist' or 'flip' from one end to the other. 1-2-3-4 becomes 4-3-2-1. In a DATA cable, 1-2-3-4 stays 1-2-3-4 to the other end.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:35 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Progressive Industies use a DATA cable, not a phone cable for the remote. In a 4 conductor phone wire, the wires 'twist' or 'flip' from one end to the other. 1-2-3-4 becomes 4-3-2-1. In a DATA cable, 1-2-3-4 stays 1-2-3-4 to the other end.
This is true.. HOWEVER.. if you wish to EXTEND the cable.. You can use a regular modular phone extension cable IF the ends fit,,, IN fact that woudl be the best EXTENSION cable to use

But you MUST use the data cable somewhere in the link.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
This is true.. HOWEVER.. if you wish to EXTEND the cable.. You can use a regular modular phone extension cable IF the ends fit,,, IN fact that woudl be the best EXTENSION cable to use

Now I am confused!
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
If you don't like it's looks, put it in a lower compartment where you can see it when you hook up. While the surge protector checks the inbound current and connects you to shore power is when you need to be monitoring things. After you're connected, unless you're easily entertained, watching it cycle through it's checks is a waste of time. After you are connected if an error occurs and drops you off shore power, the error code will tell you the problem. Another option is inside an interior compartment.

I want to be able to view my amps on each leg for when I'm on 30
Old 07-23-2014, 05:59 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Since my 2001 has phone cables wired throughout I thought I would plug the data cable in to shore telephone and then plug the ugly display into one of the phone jacks
Old 07-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I happen to like being able to see it in bright daylight when I am hooking up. Glad Progressive had enough knowledge to accommodate people that want to see the display in all light conditions.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
Since my 2001 has phone cables wired throughout I thought I would plug the data cable in to shore telephone and then plug the ugly display into one of the phone jacks
That's a cool idea. I think that would be ok, as long as they are wired properly for data and not phone, as stated above. Now I want you to try it.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:36 PM   #10

I put mine in the bedroom closet. If there is a issue I can check it without going outside.

How I need to move the irritating flashing light of the charge wizard someone installed in the bedroom, and put a piece of tape over the led on the TV.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post

Jeff,

As previously stated by a poster, you can use 4 wire telephone cables for extensions but you will need to make sure that the DATA is transmitted correctly on each end of the extension. If the display does not light then you have wired it wrong.

You need to understand the differences between a DATA cable and a TELEPHONE cable, they are not interchangeable.

Each user will have their own pros and cons for the display. Personally I like where my displays are located and how they look.

My inside display is mounted inside a rear overhead cabinet where my Intellitec EMS panel is located. I only need to look at it occasionally. My outside display is mounted in the service bay on a panel where it can be seen directly after hooking up my shore power.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Progressive EMS Service Bay Display.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	68899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Progressive EMS HW50 Display-02.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	68900  

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #12

This is my install: EMS Install

I needed a place to install the EMS remote and the IPN Remote and I didn't want to cut up the wall on my RV so, I made a box and made the EMS remote look sorta surface mounted.

The box is mounted high on the wall so I angled the remote down.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:16 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why don't you call Progressive, tell the nice lady you don't like the color, and ask her if she'll send you a different display? They have truly great customer service. I'm certain they run into this sort of concern all the time!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:06 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManatee View Post
This is my install: EMS Install

I needed a place to install the EMS remote and the IPN Remote and I didn't want to cut up the wall on my RV so, I made a box and made the EMS remote look sorta surface mounted.

The box is mounted high on the wall so I angled the remote down.

That looks good. My brothers a cabinet builder. I thought about doing something like that. I want it to be in the coach living/kitchen so DW can see how many amps we are pulling.
I really would like to get a replacement for my black and white sony back up camera that would also be a EMS.
I've seen these in newer dynasty's.
If I can find a unit that takes three cameras I would upgrade my mirrors too.

Jeff